First thread to hit one-million views?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thread
In summary: Does the number of views count only the PF registered visitors? or anyone who clicks the link after a google search is...Anyone who clicks the link after a google search is counted.Anyone who clicks the link after a google search is counted.
Evo said:
I'll bet I'm close if you count my GD posts. :tongue:

well, its not specific or scientific...

is there a 'count' that includes GD posts?

and, just how close are you then (counting GD posts), Evo?

Physics news on Phys.org
Updating after 40 days:

2rnwzv5.jpg

It appears that the Expensive cat toys thread is continuing the challenging dash for the caption competition. Maybe Greg can see which big site(s) links to that thread.

Andre said:
It appears that the Expensive cat toys thread is continuing the challenging dash for the caption competition. Maybe Greg can see which big site(s) links to that thread.

Google? It is enough that it is high in SERP for some popular phrase.

I just want to say that as the starter of "thread killer champions" I think it got robbed. It would have hit a million views if it wouldn't have been locked. I'm not complaining that it got locked. It was out of control, but had I known there was a million view possibility I might have fought to keep it alive. Actually now that I think about I might have campaigned to close it.

tribdog! Long time no see :smile:

All it would take for thread killer champions to hit a million views is for about three people to actually sit down and read it all.

Hi Borek. I read the thread where my exgirlfriend was looking for me. You are right I do like you. For the record I've never been in prison, I'm not a gypsy and the closest I've ever been to being called "Paladin" is "Paininthe..."

Meanwhile 10 more days

2lizu2v.jpg

The million hit forecast/estimate is based on the average of the last 50 days, however this would happen if we use the average of the last ten days:

zvplyo.jpg

Another update since the start of the monitoring, again 'expensive cat toys' clearly challenging the caption competition when looking at the last ten days.

kamwkw.jpg

Holy crap, who would have guessed that cat toys thread would get so many views.

My guess is that it is a topic that is quite often searched for, and PF is in general high in SERPS, so thread is quite often visited by those searching for "cat toys" on google - but most people are not from the PF, just guests.

Borek said:
My guess is that it is a topic that is quite often searched for, and PF is in general high in SERPS, so thread is quite often visited by those searching for "cat toys" on google - but most people are not from the PF, just guests.
I just did a google search on "cat toys" and I'm on page 20 and PF still has not come up. It must be some other search word(s) that are bringing traffic.

try "Expensive Cat Toys"

rewebster said:
try "Expensive Cat Toys"
Second page. Apparently a lot of people want expensive cat toys. :uhh:

If not just "cat toys" it can be so called "tail" - that is, people do searches on many related queries, and PF pages show often enough. I suppose Greg could be able to trace it in server logs (assuming he is bored and has nothing better to do).

Google "really expensive cat toy"

This video is what seems to be spawning the hits. It was linked in Zapper's thread.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-0wefMV_qk

Also
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2469928627183918026#

thread
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=167211

Last edited by a moderator:
Meanwhile there is no stopping the advance of these cat toys.

Update (first table based on the average of 64 days; the second on the last 10 days)

34j4txl.jpg

Wow, I can't even imagine one million views. That is an incredible feat!

It's been ten days again. Cat toys continuing to charge ahead and about to take over the lead.

16tpwm.jpg

It has been a while but I updated the spreadsheet today.

Hits slowed down a bit, but that's probably the season. Interestingly, the CC thread regained the lead, despite the total inactivity for a long while.

wbpf85.jpg

Do those mega hit models take into account forum population growth?

no, neither do they account for the observed gradual decline in popularity. Of course we can put in the trend. Would be interesting to see how accurate it all is. But I'm not claiming anything.

Evo said:
Second page. Apparently a lot of people want expensive cat toys. :uhh:

Best cat toy we ever owned was a laser pointer. $20.

A graph of the highest hit rates/views per day. Notice the rise and fall of the cat toys.

2jchn3r.jpg

foot thread? where? >_>

Edible foot?

Sounds less healthy

Anyway, it appears that Greg's cat toy promotion campaign has been effective, but some more effort would still be required to beat the caption competition.

The landmark game scores second in daily hits now.

1zzj02u.jpg

Those dates on the bottom are backwards. :devil:

That would seem so, however it's a Dutch spreadsheet and in Europe we have other habits.

With again backward dates the ratings of the last 40 days

2m6u92q.jpg

I wondered too if it's worthwhile to keep putting effort in the landmark thread. As it leads currently in daily views, maybe it is.

It looks to me like the thread about the nuclear accident in Japan will easily be the winner. After just six weeks it is past 500K!
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=480200

The views-to-posts ratio is only a little over 100:1, which is higher than normal for the time frame but not exceedingly high. We've had threads that fetched 1000 views per post at times, like my algae thread. :smile: But the activity level in the nuclear thread is a first.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
It looks to me like the thread about the nuclear accident in Japan will easily be the winner. After just six weeks it is past 500K!

This thread will sooner or later die when the situation gets stable.

Let's hope it will die well before 1M :tongue:

Borek said:
This thread will sooner or later die when the situation gets stable.

Let's hope it will die well before 1M :tongue:

Even if this ended tomorrow, I would expect that there is enough momentum to carry the thread through to a million views. It is hard to know but there is typically a significant hit rate after the discussion ends, for monster threads. Also, I would imagine the discussion about this event will continue for decades to come. So as long as the thread remains open, it would be surprising if the posts stopped coming.

So far the thread is averaging ~100K hits per week.

Ivan Seeking said:
Even if this ended tomorrow, I would expect that there is enough momentum to carry the thread through to a million views. It is hard to know but there is typically a significant hit rate after the discussion ends, for monster threads. Also, I would imagine the discussion about this event will continue for decades to come. So as long as the thread remains open, it would be surprising if the posts stopped coming.

Sure, but I am following the thread on the daily basis from the very beginning - and I can tell you iot already slowed won substantially. At the beginning of April when I got up in the morning I had to read up to 3 or even 4 pages on new posts, right now it is more like 1-2 pages.

And I still hope there will be no new events to fuel it up.

Borek said:
Sure, but I am following the thread on the daily basis from the very beginning - and I can tell you iot already slowed won substantially. At the beginning of April when I got up in the morning I had to read up to 3 or even 4 pages on new posts, right now it is more like 1-2 pages.

No doubt it is slowing. But it still got as many hits in six weeks as the Cat Toy thread got in four years!

And I still hope there will be no new events to fuel it up.

Oh, I was hoping for another major disaster so the thread will hit a million! :rolleyes: