First time poster needs help with a problem at wits end

In summary, the problem involves a ski jumper who lands 51.8 m horizontally from the end of a ski ramp with an initial velocity of 20.7 m/s at an angle of 43.3 degrees below the horizontal. The skier's velocity is split into vertical and horizontal components, with the vertical component being affected by gravity and the horizontal component remaining constant. The distance traveled and time can be used to determine the initial horizontal velocity.
Finns14
fter leaving the end of a ski ramp, a ski jumper lands downhill at a point that is displaced 51.8 m horizontally from the end of the ramp. His velocity, just before landing, is 20.7 m/s and points in a direction 43.3 degrees below the horizontal. Neglecting air resistance and any lift that he experiences while airborne, find (a) the magnitude and (b) the direction of his initial velocity when he left the end of the ramp.

That is the problem I understand mostly how to do this problem but this is only after hours of struggling with it. I am getting frustrated that the simple math and assiging negative and positive vaule are making me unable to solve the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Starting with
20.7 m/s and points in a direction 43.3 degrees below the horizontal
one resolves the velocity (vector) into downward (y) and horizontal (x) components. The y velocity component involves an acceleration (increase downward) due to gravity.

The x-component does not change, it is constant during the descent because there is no acceleration in the x-direction after the skier leaves the ramp.

One has the horizontal distance traveled (x=51.8 m) at vx, and the time t = vx/x

Welcome to PF! The first thing you need to decide is a co-ordinate system. If you use a standard x-y axis as your template, then verically up will be positive, downa will be negative and left to right movement will be positive. What you need to do first is split the velocity into vertical and horiztonal components by resolving the velocity using trig.

1. What type of problem are you facing?

I am facing a problem where I am stuck and unsure of how to proceed. This could be a problem related to my research, an experiment, or a technical issue.

2. What have you tried so far?

I have tried various methods and approaches to solve the problem, but none of them have been successful. I have also consulted with colleagues and searched for solutions online.

3. What specific help do you need?

I am looking for guidance and advice on how to approach and solve the problem. I may also need technical assistance or resources to help me overcome the problem.

4. How urgent is the problem?

The problem is quite urgent as it is affecting my work and progress. I am eager to find a solution as soon as possible.

5. Can you provide more details about the problem?

Yes, I can provide more details such as the specific issue I am facing, any relevant data or information, and any steps I have taken so far. This will help in understanding the problem better and providing more accurate solutions.