First World Problems: Share the Silliest Things That Bug You!

• Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
In summary, people hate it when things don't go the way they're supposed to. They also hate it when they can't find the droids they're looking for, when their touchscreen has lag, and when autocorrect ruins their typing speed.
AnOldStudent said:
Yes, I don't understand it at all. Odd grammar and meaning.

Yet you can't be sure that it doesn't make sense at all to all non-natives!:)

Physics news on Phys.org
I hate it how God gets all the credit for everything good that happens. Even when I am doing all the 'hardwork' in bed, I only hear His name.

I've never understood why some people talk to themselves in the third person. :oldconfused:

Borg said:
I've never understood why some people talk to themselves in the third person. :oldconfused:
I do that. It's easier to understand one's problems from a third person perspective. I imagine seeing myself from a top view of a maze.

ImperialThinker said:
I do that. It's easier to understand one's problems from a third person perspective. I imagine seeing myself from a top view of a maze.
Went right over your head? I guess I should have quoted your previous post. :oldtongue:

lisab said:
Quite a thin grey line, yes.
And thin grey lines are hard to see once you get older...

mfb said:
And thin grey lines are hard to see once you get older...
After which they become unified :cool:

RonL said:
The feng shui is just a little off in your yard, edward has the other pot plant :D

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi60.tinypic.com%2F29zoute.jpg

You say his daughter lives next door?oo)

My neighbors tell me about my lack of appreciation for the feng shui thing quite often. I have to put plants where they can survive in the desert. I even have them hanging in trees.

My daughter still doesn't listen to me I gave her explicit instructions about your front yard. She certainly could have found more trash than I saw in the picture.

Did I mention that my wife broke her her ankle ? (I really need an emoticon here) post 199 don't go there.

I called my daughter immediately and she put it on Facebook immediately. We were getting calls from people asking how my wife was doing while we were still in the emergency room waiting to see a doctor.

My husband installed a new wood stove in the living room. Mostly, we burn wood that grows on our property, so it's free heat. But it sometimes makes the living room a bit too hot.

lisab said:
it sometimes makes the living room a bit too hot.
Try putting a thin sheet metal or plywood shield in front of/around it. The last time that I lived on a farm, the only heat we had was from 2 wood stoves—a range in the kitchen and a pot-belly in the living room. The same as with a campfire, the radiant heat was brutal within short range while the conductive/convection heat wasn't so great. If you block the radiant, you might find that it's more moderate in the room even though the same amount of heat is being generated.

As to my new example of a 1st world problem (not new to me, but to you)... my Lifeline pendant keeps getting tangled in my oxygen hose while I sleep. More than one false alarm has gone out when I pushed the button by accident while trying to sort it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Danger said:
Try putting a thin sheet metal or plywood shield in front of/around it. The last time that I lived on a farm, the only heat we had was from 2 wood stoves—a range in the kitchen and a pot-belly in the living room. The same as with a campfire, the radiant heat was brutal within short range while the conductive/convection heat wasn't so great. If you block the radiant, you might find that it's more moderate in the room even though the same amount of heat is being generated.

At one point metal fireplace inserts were a big fad. I decided that rather than spend the money I would just kick up the output by lining the fireplace with heavy aluminum foil fastened to a wire grid to hold the foil up. The end result was singed eyebrows at fifteen feet away.

As to my new example of a 3rd world problem (not new to me, but to you)... my Lifeline pendant keeps getting tangled in my oxygen hose while I sleep. More than one false alarm has gone out when I pushed the button by accident while trying to sort it out.
Sorry to hear that Danger. That is truly a first world problem.

Danger said:

As to my new example of a 3rd world problem (not new to me, but to you)... my Lifeline pendant keeps getting tangled in my oxygen hose while I sleep. More than one false alarm has gone out when I pushed the button by accident while trying to sort it out.

You think that's a problem, today I ran out of Orange Juice and had to switch to Egg-Nog o0):eek::D

RonL said:
You think that's a problem, today I ran out of Orange Juice and had to switch to Egg-Nog o0):eek::D

You think _that's_ bad ? I bought (what I thought was) some nice, sweet, fresh-squeezed orange juice, a treat I give myself at around $6 a bottle, only to find out when I got home that I had bought nasty, bitter, grapefruit.

Likes RonL
WWGD said:
You think _that's_ bad ? I bought (what I thought was) some nice, sweet, fresh-squeezed orange juice, a treat I give myself at around $6 a bottle, only to find out when I got home that I had bought nasty, bitter, grapefruit.
Just find something that will make it more nasty and have fun :cool::D

RonL said:
Egg-Nog
:oldruck:
That stuff would gag a maggot! Yuck!

Danger said:
Try putting a ... plywood shield in front of/around it. ...
Hence, your name...

My younger brother's girlfriend, of about 30 years, is apparently, according to him, a bigger hoarder than I am. I absconded with some 6x6 white tiles a couple of years back, from her sidewalk the last time I was over. She apparently owns half of the North American supply of remnant tile.

Not knowing how to stick/glue/mortar tile, I stacked them against my wood stove: Heat sink!

pf.2014.12.15.1044.franklin.was.a.thermodynamic.idiot.jpg

This may be an epidemic. For the last 5 days in a row, a fire engine and ambulance have shown up at the same house, just down the street.

Very Christmassy though.

ps. I was out yesterday, and my non-Chuuk neighbors, whom I talk to on the average, about every 10 years, were discussing the "garbage bag" incident. They had called the garbage police, the day before I cleaned up the mess. Now my non-Chuuk neighbors, had suspected the the Chuuk neighbors were the culprits, as the Chuuk's had done this before.

Anyways, Mr. NonChuuk mentioned "scores of empty cans of Spam", from the previous garbage incident, and I asked him if he was a member of this forum, as Zoobyshoe had told us of their "Spam" habit. Mr. NonChuuk said that he was not a member of the forum. Then I told him, and Mrs. NonChuuk, that there was not a single empty can of Spam in the refuse I'd cleaned up. So we determined, that it was not the Chuuks to blame.

pps. I think someone is about to have a 3rd world problem. I was just out front, and witnessed one of the neighbors dogs scarf down about 3 pounds of the 2+ week old rotten food. (clues: there was a turkey neck, and a bag and a half, of Costco quantity, dried cranberries).

The dog gave me a "what are you lookin' at" stare when I took his picture.

pf.2014.12.15.1048.some.1st.worlder.is.about.to.have.a.3rd.world.problem.jpg

Poor owner.
Ha ha!

OmCheeto said:
Hence, your name...

My younger brother's girlfriend, of about 30 years, is apparently, according to him, a bigger hoarder than I am. I absconded with some 6x6 white tiles a couple of years back, from her sidewalk the last time I was over. She apparently owns half of the North American supply of remnant tile.

Not knowing how to stick/glue/mortar tile, I stacked them against my wood stove: Heat sink!

View attachment 76634This may be an epidemic. For the last 5 days in a row, a fire engine and ambulance have shown up at the same house, just down the street.

Very Christmassy though.

ps. I was out yesterday, and my non-Chuuk neighbors, whom I talk to on the average, about every 10 years, were discussing the "garbage bag" incident. They had called the garbage police, the day before I cleaned up the mess. Now my non-Chuuk neighbors, had suspected the the Chuuk neighbors were the culprits, as the Chuuk's had done this before.

Anyways, Mr. NonChuuk mentioned "scores of empty cans of Spam", from the previous garbage incident, and I asked him if he was a member of this forum, as Zoobyshoe had told us of their "Spam" habit. Mr. NonChuuk said that he was not a member of the forum. Then I told him, and Mrs. NonChuuk, that there was not a single empty can of Spam in the refuse I'd cleaned up. So we determined, that it was not the Chuuks to blame.

pps. I think someone is about to have a 3rd world problem. I was just out front, and witnessed one of the neighbors dogs scarf down about 3 pounds of the 2+ week old rotten food. (clues: there was a turkey neck, and a bag and a half, of Costco quantity, dried cranberries).

The dog gave me a "what are you lookin' at" stare when I took his picture.

View attachment 76633

Poor owner.
Ha ha!
Looks like love at first sight :D

Danger said:
:oldruck:
That stuff would gag a maggot! Yuck!
Just for your information, I'm one of the few people in the world that loves fruit cake:p

OmCheeto said:
Hence, your name...
I was actually thinking of placing the shield a metre or so away from the stove. :oldtongue:

OmCheeto said:
For the last 5 days in a row, a fire engine and ambulance have shown up at the same house, just down the street.
That might be due to several different reasons, such as a false fire alarm. An ambulance could be dispatched for that in case of casualties if an incomplete report is obtained by phone. For the same incompleteness reason, the 3rd-last time that I summoned paramedics I was surprised to see a fire engine arrive with them. Since I wasn't able to exactly explain what was wrong, even though I have COPD, they knew that I couldn't breathe and sent the engine just in case it turned out to be a CO leak or smoke inhalation issue. Better safe than sorry, but I feel bad about the taxpayer burden for it.

RonL said:
Just for your information, I'm one of the few people in the world that loves fruit cake:p
You're just sick.

Likes RonL
Danger said:
I was actually thinking of placing the shield a metre or so away from the stove. :oldtongue:

That might be due to several different reasons, such as a false fire alarm. An ambulance could be dispatched for that in case of casualties if an incomplete report is obtained by phone. For the same incompleteness reason, the 3rd-last time that I summoned paramedics I was surprised to see a fire engine arrive with them. Since I wasn't able to exactly explain what was wrong, even though I have COPD, they knew that I couldn't breathe and sent the engine just in case it turned out to be a CO leak or smoke inhalation issue. Better safe than sorry, but I feel bad about the taxpayer burden for it.

In Tucson AZ they now dispatch fire trucks to all accident scenes where there are injuries and to all 911 medical calls. There are several reasons that seem to be logical. The fire trucks are red and big and stupid drivers can see them. The fire trucks are loud with both sirens screaming and air horns blasting. Stupid drivers hear the fire trucks. The fire trucks have strobe lights that hit a sensor on traffic lights and turn the lights to green for the trucks. Fire stations are spread out evenly over the area and the closest one is dispatched. Paramedics now ride on the fire trucks. The paramedics only call an ambulance when needed.

The are several first world problems that go along with this. One of them is living near a fire station, you can hear those trucks a mile away. The other is having your neighbors gawk and ask where the fire is when you only sprained your ankle and your wife panicked and called 911.

Likes RonL and Danger
Danger said:
As to my new example of a 3rd world problem
Oh, hell! Of course I meant 1st world problem. I just noticed my typo, and now it's too late to edit it. :oldgrumpy:

Danger said:
Oh, hell! Of course I meant 1st world problem. I just noticed my typo, and now it's too late to edit it. :oldgrumpy:
We can let it slide being as you were all tangled in your ho'ses :D

RonL said:
ho'ses
No, no! I meant actual hose, as in tubing, not ho's. Geez, I can't afford those in the plural.

I've got two problems that I can think of right now:

1. I didn't have a laptop desk for my new laptop. So I solved this first world problem by using my old laptop as a laptop desk.

2. My new laptop does not sit flat on the desk. It is raised slightly on the left side. And it makes it very annoying to type, as each time I put the hand on the right side of the laptop, the laptop moves.

Attachments

• 56384101.jpg
    56384101.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 399
Naomi said:
1. I didn't have a laptop desk for my new laptop. So I solved this first world problem by using my old laptop as a laptop desk.

2. My new laptop does not sit flat on the desk. It is raised slightly on the left side. And it makes it very annoying to type, as each time I put the hand on the right side of the laptop, the laptop moves.
Your problem is obvious—your need a desktop, not a laptop. Honestly, kids these days... no common sense... :oldeyes:

edit: Thanks to the anonymous moderator who went in and edited the erroneous post for me. That was nice of you.

Danger said:
Your problem is obvious—your need a desktop, not a laptop. Honestly, kids these days... no common sense... :oldeyes:

edit: Thanks to the anonymous moderator who went in and edited the erroneous post for me. That was nice of you.

...Christmas is just around the corner... : ). Hopefully, a new desktop is in order. Until then, I'll just have to stick stuff under my laptop to prevent it from wobbling.

Naomi said:
I'll just have to stick stuff under my laptop to prevent it from wobbling.
A matchbook works great, because it is height adjustable simply by how far you push it under the computer. We used them for wobbly tables in the bar all the time.

Naomi said:
A laptoptop?

This problem

mfb said:
This problem
:oldconfused:

This may have already been posted, which is a first world problem in itself. The real problem was an industrial sized jam in our paper shredder. My wife was cleaning out an old desk and just dumping anything that resembled paper into the shredder. I had to disassemble the thing to get to the object that jammed the paper shredder. That object is worthy of the, Today I learned thread.

Likes lisab
edward said:
This may have already been posted, which is a first world problem in itself. The real problem was an industrial sized jam in our paper shredder. My wife was cleaning out an old desk and just dumping anything that resembled paper into the shredder. I had to disassemble the thing to get to the object that jammed the paper shredder. That object is worthy of the, Today I learned thread.
:oldlaugh: Today I Learned that I have a First-World Problem :oldlaugh:

edward said:
That object is worthy of ...
...a single really old foil wrapped condom will jam a paper shredder big time.
How did the old thing fair?

Here's one that's driven me crazy for years. When someone at work wants to send a new email and they use an existing email that has all of the names they want but they don't bother to change the subject. Months later it's so much fun trying to find critical information on a server buried in an email labeled RE: Cookie recipe. :w

Likes lisab and RonL