First year with physics major. What to learn in spare time?

In summary, LisaB said that, in her first years, she concentrated on the classes she was currently taking, and that she should focus on those in her first years. BiP said that, in her first years, she should concentrate on the classes she is currently taking, learn more about computer programming, and learn about Linux.
Ascendant78
I am a non-traditional student looking to change career paths. Though I am in my first year of college, I already know I want my major to be in high-energy physics. I am in a small community college for now as I need to save money. As such, there is not much of anything in my field that I can become involved in at the college. I have looked into REUs for getting involved in research, and after my AA, I plan to become heavily involved in research at the university I will attend.

One thing I am not sure about is what I should learn in my spare time? I have started to become very frustrated, as I know I am spreading myself very thin. I have been trying to brush up on courses I have already taken that are relevant to my field, like mathematics/calculus and chemistry. I regularly engage in problem solving types of brain teasers. I also have to work though, so I am limited in what I can dedicate myself to.

One thing that has been suggested to me has been to learn computer programming and Linux. However, as far as which computer programming is best to learn, the feedback has been very mixed. I have also had others who have told me I should be more involved in researching all I can in my field, like from periodicals and the like. I am just trying to do so many things at once, and would love some feedback on what all of you who have done this feel I would most benefit from learning in my spare time at this point?

Physics news on Phys.org
I admire your passion and enthusiasm. But in your first years, you really should just concentrate on the classes you're in now, IMO. The stuff you're learning now may seem unsexy and not related to your ultimate goal...but believe me, you'll need it in the coming years!

So my advice would be, instead of adding more breadth, go for more depth. For example, do more problems that just the homework that's assigned, and read Feynman's Lectures - let yourself really think about what he says (that's not wasted time!).

I agree with LisaB. I'll also just add one more point. It's rarely a wasted effort to learn at least one computer programming language. There isn't a best per se, just very common and useful one. For a first language in science, I would recommend Python, then C++ just so you'll appreciate Python :D. Maybe Pearl later on. Point being is, once you learn one, you'll find other programs easier to learn.

Coming from a first year student like yourself, but who's fairly well versed in CS, I would say start with Python or Processing. Processing if you want visual pleasure from your work.

BiP

Well thanks so much for all the feedback. I completely understand what you are saying lisab, and I have been trying to go more in-depth into classes I have already taken as you have suggested. Like I said, I am spreading myself pretty thin at this point. The reason I mentioned computer programming is I've been doing tons of research the last several months on what top grad schools look for, and I have seen a lot of information on individuals knowing computer programming before they even started their freshman year in college. I have also heard of individuals who had difficulty in some classes because they didn't know computer programming before taking them. I just want to make sure I'm not missing out on something that might hinder me in courses later on down the road.

As far as the suggestion about Python, that is one I haven't heard mentioned yet. Then again, I haven't looked into it much yet, lol. The sticky in this thread ("so you want to be a physicist?") seemed to focus on Fortran, C, and C++. I'm assuming that once you learn one, it's more like learning a different dialect than a different language in some cases? Also, what about Linux? Is there any point to learning it? Though I have used Windows since its inception, I have never touched Linux to date. Since I have a spare hard drive that I only use as a backup, clearly I can put it to a better use.

1. How can I improve my understanding of core physics concepts?

One way to improve your understanding of core physics concepts is to review your lecture notes and textbooks regularly. Additionally, you can seek out online resources such as videos, practice problems, and interactive simulations to supplement your learning. Collaborating with classmates and discussing difficult concepts can also help solidify your understanding.

2. What topics should I focus on in my spare time as a first year physics major?

As a first year physics major, it is important to have a strong foundation in basic math and fundamental physics principles. This includes topics such as mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics. You may also want to explore more advanced concepts in these areas to gain a deeper understanding.

3. How can I stay motivated to learn in my spare time?

One way to stay motivated to learn in your spare time is to set specific goals for yourself. This could be completing a certain number of practice problems, watching a certain number of educational videos, or mastering a particular concept. It is also important to take breaks and find a balance between studying and other activities to avoid burnout.

4. What resources are available for self-study in physics?

There are many online resources available for self-study in physics, such as Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Physics Classroom. These resources offer lectures, tutorials, practice problems, and simulations to help you learn at your own pace. You can also find study groups or tutoring services at your university to supplement your learning.

5. How can I apply my knowledge in real-world situations?

One way to apply your knowledge in real-world situations is to seek out research opportunities, internships, or co-op positions in physics-related fields. This will allow you to see how the concepts you learn in the classroom can be applied to real-world problems. You can also participate in physics-related clubs and competitions to gain hands-on experience and practical skills.