Fishing for atmospheric electricity

In summary, Abraham Bennet was able to measure the ambient E-field using a gold leaf electroscope. He was able to get readings of about 100 volts and 225 volts. The high reading was due to strong winds.
Russ Edmonds
Fishing for atmospheric electricity.Three microcuries of Am-241 were placed in a aluminum pie tin.

fair weather field probe.jpg

The pie tin was then suspended 2.7 meters in the air by a fishing pole. The pie tin was insulated from ground by the nylon fishing line. A wire connection was hung from the pie tin to the top terminal of a gold leaf electroscope. The outer case of the electroscope was connected to Earth ground.

atmospheric gold leaf electroscoper setup.jpg

The first reading was at 11:43 am MST and based on the gold leaf deflection, represents a voltage of about 100 volts giving a field strength of 37 volts per meter.

gold leaf atmospheric electricity reading 1.jpg

The next reading was at 1:10 pm MST and represents a voltage of about 225 volts giving a field strength of 83 volts per meter. This was the highest reading I got. Strong winds made me stop the experiment.

gold leaf atmospheric electricity reading 2.jpg

These field values seen low and this might be due to my backyard being in a depression with the terrain sloping up on two sides. I might try doing this experiment in my front yard were the terrain slopes down on two sides. If the neighbors see this however they'll probably think I'm a nut job.

Physics news on Phys.org
Russ Edmonds said:
If the neighbors see this however they'll probably think I'm a nut job.
No, no, no. They won't be thinking anything like that. :wink:

Fun experiment. What was the level of humidity during the experiment? That will be another limiting factor in the static charge that you can build up.

berkeman said:
What was the level of humidity during the experiment? That will be another limiting factor in the static charge that you can build up.
The humidity was about 30%. This is the first time I got this experiment to work after about eight failed attempts. I found the cause of these failures to be poor insulation of the pie tin and the insulation of the wire from the pie tin to the electroscope. I ended up having to suspend this wire in air between the pie tin and electroscope.

Likes Bystander
There was an experiment I did as a kid which used an isolated elevated metal bucket of saline solution that dripped slowly from a needle point on the bucket bottom. The electrometer was replaced by a small neon bulb to ground. The flash was every few seconds.
I've not seen this experiment anywhere else since, but it was amazingly good.
And I'm sure nobody looked at me askance.

Likes Russ Edmonds and berkeman
hutchphd said:
There was an experiment I did as a kid which used an isolated elevated metal bucket of saline solution that dripped slowly from a needle point on the bucket bottom.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelvin_water_dropper
Seriously cool...

Likes berkeman
Thanks for the reference! Yeah I forgot about the ring electrodes...

Russ Edmonds said:
Fishing for atmospheric electricity.Three microcuries of Am-241 were placed in a aluminum pie tin.The pie tin was then suspended 2.7 meters in the air by a fishing pole. The pie tin was insulated from ground by the nylon fishing line. A wire connection was hung from the pie tin to the top terminal of a gold leaf electroscope. The outer case of the electroscope was connected to Earth ground.The first reading was at 11:43 am MST and based on the gold leaf deflection, represents a voltage of about 100 volts giving a field strength of 37 volts per meter.The next reading was at 1:10 pm MST and represents a voltage of about 225 volts giving a field strength of 83 volts per meter. This was the highest reading I got. Strong winds made me stop the experiment.These field values seen low and this might be due to my backyard being in a depression with the terrain sloping up on two sides. I might try doing this experiment in my front yard were the terrain slopes down on two sides.
What was the purpose of your experiment?
Small level of ionizing radiation can speed up the charge build up, but once the charge is collected, the build up almost completely stops in low fair weather conditions (charge depends on external field and size/elevation of the metalic structure). If your goal is to just to measure fair weather ambient E-fields an electrostatic fieldmeter used as local potential probe, mounted at convenient height is enough. The fieldmeter for the sake of better preceison has to be at least 10x its diameter away from other objects.

Nugatory said:
Have made it for a high school project loong ago. Max voltages were in 10 kV range. There was a lot tweaking, adjusting and redisgning before thing properly worked. Ah, sweet memories..

Likes hutchphd
zoki85 said:
If your goal is to just to measure fair weather ambient E-fields an electrostatic fieldmeter used as local potential probe, mounted at convenient height is enough.
The purpose of the experiment was partly historical, I was curious to see if I could measure the fair weather E-field using my gold leaf electroscope. Abraham Bennet did this experiment back in 1788, only he used a lantern flame for the ionization probe. Yes a field mill or field meter is a much better instrument to use for this measurement.

@Russ Edmonds gets my vote for best title for a post for the month

Likes Nugatory

What is atmospheric electricity?

Atmospheric electricity refers to the electrical charges and currents that exist in the Earth's atmosphere. These charges are created by various natural processes such as lightning, solar radiation, and the movement of air masses.

How is atmospheric electricity measured?

Atmospheric electricity is measured using specialized instruments such as electroscopes, electrometers, and lightning detectors. These instruments can detect and measure the presence and strength of electrical charges in the atmosphere.

What is the purpose of fishing for atmospheric electricity?

The purpose of fishing for atmospheric electricity is to study and understand the behavior and effects of atmospheric electricity. This research can help us better predict and prepare for weather phenomena such as lightning strikes, and also has applications in fields such as renewable energy and telecommunications.

What are some potential risks associated with fishing for atmospheric electricity?

One potential risk is the danger of being struck by lightning while conducting research in the field. Another risk is the potential damage to equipment from extreme weather conditions. It is important for scientists to take proper safety precautions and follow protocols to minimize these risks.

How does fishing for atmospheric electricity contribute to our understanding of climate change?

Studying atmospheric electricity can provide valuable information about the Earth's atmosphere and how it is changing over time. For example, changes in atmospheric electricity can indicate shifts in temperature, humidity, and air pollution levels. By monitoring these changes, scientists can gain a better understanding of the effects of climate change on our planet.