Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fitting Data Imported into Mathematica from Excel

1. Oct 15, 2012 #1
    Can you fit data that is imported into Mathematica 8? I am just using the Import command, and I cannot figure out how to work with this data. I would really like to fit my curve. This is the code I used to import the data: Import[datafile.xlsx"]

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2012 #2
    If your Excel sheet is big then make up a smaller example sheet, something with perhaps half a dozen rows should be enough to show what it is you want to fit.

Then in Mathematica do the Import.

Select the In[1]:= and Out[1]= cells by clicking on the thin little cell bracket along the far right edge of the notebook. Copy that to the clipboard. Paste that into a reply here.

Then add a bit of text at the bottom of that reply explaining what kind of function you want to Fit to this, a straight line?, a parabola?, some fairly specific simple concrete function you want to fit.

With that it should be fairly simple for someone to take a moment and show you a line or two of code to do what you want.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook