Five ropes in equilibrium supporting mass - calculate tension

In summary, an object of mass 50 kg is supported at point A by five ropes, and is in equilibrium. The tension in the three ropes attached to point B balances the gravitational force, and the net horizontal and net vertical forces will equal zero.
Adi1973
An object of mass 50 kg is supported at point A by five ropes as showin in the figure, and is in equilibrium. Determine the force in each rope.
Figure is attached.

Attempt at solution:

FBD is attached.

If the sides of the triangle formed by ROPE BD are in the relation of 5:3:4 respectively, the angle will be 53o.

Gravitational force Fg = (50kg)(9.8m.s-2) South
= 490N South

The net horizontal and net vertical forces will equal zero as the system is not moving either right or left, or up or down (system is in equilibrium).

Therefore the sum of the horizontal forces pulling West will equal the sum of the horizontal forces pulling East:

FBC horizontal + FAB horizontal = FAE horizontal + FBD horizontal

The vertical force provided by the ropes will equal 490N North to balance the gravitational force exactly.

Therefore the sum of the vertical forces of the ropes will equal 490N:

FAB vertical + FBD vertical = 490N North

And that is as far as I got. Even colour coding the FBD diagram wouldn't help! Please could someone point me in the right direction. Something tells me that I have to put the vertical forces into some relation to one another to calculate how much each contribute to the 490N? Or not? Thank you for any help.

Attachments

• Figure.jpg
    Figure.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 454
  • FBD.jpg
    FBD.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 539
Physics news on Phys.org
Do this: Draw a FBD for point A and see what you can deduce. Then do the same for point B.

Thanks Doc Al, so much appreciated. So, in essence, I treat it as two separate objects both in equilibrium in their own environments? Makes things simpler! I'm just not sure what the force is that is pulling point B - is it the gravitational force, or AB? I assumed gravitational force?

I attach my FBDs and here is my solution now (suspect there are still some things wrong though - looks a bit odd):

Point A:
FAB vertical = 490N North (equilibrium, gravity)
FAB horizontal = 1/2 (490) West (special right triangle 60o-30o-90o)
= 245N West
sin60o = 490N North / FAB
Therefore FAB = 566N 30o North West
FAE = - FAB horizontal (equilibrium)
Therefore FAE = 245N East

Point B:
FBD vertical = 490N North (equilibrium, gravity)
tan53o = 490N/FBD horizontal (special right triangle 3-4-5)
Therefore FBD horizontal = 369N North
sin53o = 490N/FBD
Therefore FBD = 614N 37o North East

FBC = - FBD horizontal (equilibrium)
Therefore FBC = 369N West

Attachments

• FBD_2.jpg
    FBD_2.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 447
Adi1973 said:
So, in essence, I treat it as two separate objects both in equilibrium in their own environments? Makes things simpler!
Sure does.
I'm just not sure what the force is that is pulling point B - is it the gravitational force, or AB? I assumed gravitational force?
I don't understand this comment. The forces acting on point B are the tensions in the three ropes attached to point B.

I attach my FBDs and here is my solution now (suspect there are still some things wrong though - looks a bit odd):
Your FBD for point A looks good.

Regarding your FBD for point B:
- FBC is correct
- FBD is at the wrong angle
- Fg does not act on B! It's rope AB that attaches to B, so FAB acts.
Redo that one.

Point A:
FAB vertical = 490N North (equilibrium, gravity)
FAB horizontal = 1/2 (490) West (special right triangle 60o-30o-90o)
= 245N West
sin60o = 490N North / FAB
Therefore FAB = 566N 30o North West
FAE = - FAB horizontal (equilibrium)
Therefore FAE = 245N East
This looks OK. A few comments:
They want the tensions in the ropes, which are just the magnitudes of the forces they exert. The directions, of course, are along the ropes. So, for example, let FAB be the tension in rope AB. No need to specify direction when giving your answers.

I'd set it up like this, so that it's easy to see what you're doing:
ΣFx = 0
FAE - FAB cos(60) = 0
FAB cos(60) = FAE

ΣFy = 0
FAB sin(60) - Fg = 0
FAB sin(60) = Fg

Careful about rounding off your calculations. I'd only round off at the last step.

Thank you very much for the help! I can finish it now myself. I really appreciate the amazing responses, it has really cleared things up quickly.

1. What is the concept behind five ropes in equilibrium supporting mass?

The concept behind five ropes in equilibrium supporting mass is that the tension in each rope is equal and opposite, creating a state of balance where the mass is supported without any movement.

2. How is the tension in each rope calculated?

The tension in each rope can be calculated using the formula T = mg, where T is the tension, m is the mass, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). This formula assumes that the ropes are massless and inextensible.

3. What factors can affect the tension in each rope?

The tension in each rope can be affected by the mass of the object being supported, the length and angle of each rope, and any external forces acting on the ropes, such as wind or friction.

4. How can this concept be applied in real-life scenarios?

This concept can be applied in various scenarios, such as in construction to support heavy loads, in rock climbing to ensure safety, and in engineering to design stable structures.

5. What happens if the tension in one of the ropes is not equal to the others?

If the tension in one of the ropes is not equal to the others, the system will no longer be in equilibrium, and the mass will start to move in the direction of the greater tension. This can result in the ropes breaking or the object falling.