Fixed point theorem knowing that ##T^n## is a contraction

In summary, applying T to a sequence shifts the sequence by one place, but the sequence still converges to a point.
mahler1
Homework Statement .
Let ##X## be a complete metric space and let ##T:X \to X## such that there exists ##n \in \mathbb N##: ##T^n## is a contraction. Prove that there is a unique ##x \in X## such that ##T(x)=x##.

The attempt at a solution.
Sorry but I am completely lost with this exercise and I am a little bit confused about the following: if ##T^n## is a contraction, would this mean that for any ##x,y \in X## ##d(T^n(x), T^n(y))<αd(x,y)## or ##d(T^n(x), T^n(y))<αd(T^{n-1}(x),T^{n-1}(y))##, for ##0<α<1##?. How could I begin the exercise to find the ##x## such that ##T(x)=x##?.

Physics news on Phys.org
mahler1 said:
Homework Statement .
Let ##X## be a complete metric space and let ##T:X \to X## such that there exists ##n \in \mathbb N##: ##T^n## is a contraction. Prove that there is a unique ##x \in X## such that ##T(x)=x##.

Sorry but I am completely lost with this exercise and I am a little bit confused about the following: if ##T^n## is a contraction, would this mean that for any ##x,y \in X## ##d(T^n(x), T^n(y))<αd(x,y)## or ##d(T^n(x), T^n(y))<αd(T^{n-1}(x),T^{n-1}(y))##, for ##0<α<1##?. How could I begin the exercise to find the ##x## such that ##T(x)=x##?.

Let's just write ##C## instead of ##T^n## so we can skip some exponents. Here's a hint. Pick ##x_0## to be any point. Now define ##x_1=C(x_0), x_2=C(x_1)##, etc. Now you've got things like ##d(x_1,x_2)=d(C(x_0),C(x_1)) \le αd(x_0,x_1)##. The first step is going to be trying to prove that sequence is Cauchy.

Likes 1 person
mahler1 said:
Homework Statement .

Sorry but I am completely lost with this exercise and I am a little bit confused about the following: if ##T^n## is a contraction, would this mean that for any ##x,y \in X## ##d(T^n(x), T^n(y))<αd(x,y)## or ##d(T^n(x), T^n(y))<αd(T^{n-1}(x),T^{n-1}(y))##, for ##0<α<1##?.
BOTH. The definition of "contraction map" is that for any x, y, [itex]d(T(x), T(y))\le \alpha d(x, y)[/itex] (with [itex]\alpha< 0[/itex]). For any positive integer, [itex]d(T^n(x), T^n(y))<\alpha d(T^{n-1}(x), T^{n-1}(y))[/itex] is just that same statement with [itex]T^{n-1}(x)[/itex] in place of x and [itex]T^{n-1}(y)[/itex] in place of y.

How could I begin the exercise to find the ##x## such that ##T(x)=x##?.
Take [itex]x_0[/itex] to be any point in X. Look at the sequence [itex]\{T^n(x_0)\}[/itex]. Show that it is a Cauchy sequence so converges. See what happens when you apply T to the limit of that sequence.

Likes 1 person
HallsofIvy said:
BOTH. The definition of "contraction map" is that for any x, y, [itex]d(T(x), T(y))\le \alpha d(x, y)[/itex] (with [itex]\alpha< 0[/itex]). For any positive integer, [itex]d(T^n(x), T^n(y))<\alpha d(T^{n-1}(x), T^{n-1}(y))[/itex] is just that same statement with [itex]T^{n-1}(x)[/itex] in place of x and [itex]T^{n-1}(y)[/itex] in place of y.

Not quite, I don't think. The problem (for some reason) didn't say T is a contraction, it says ##T^n## is a contraction.

Dick said:
Let's just write ##C## instead of ##T^n## so we can skip some exponents. Here's a hint. Pick ##x_0## to be any point. Now define ##x_1=C(x_0), x_2=C(x_1)##, etc. Now you've got things like ##d(x_1,x_2)=d(C(x_0),C(x_1)) \le αd(x_0,x_1)##. The first step is going to be trying to prove that sequence is Cauchy.

Ok, but with that sequence, what I am goint to prove is that ##T^n## has a fixed point. If I call that point ##x##, would ##x## help me to find the fixed point of ##T## that I am looking for?

In my first response I said "(with [itex]\alpha< 0[/itex])" when, of course, I meant "(with [itex]\alpha< 1[/itex])".

Now, in your first post you said "there exist [itex]n\in N[/itex] such that [itex]T^n[/itex] is contraction". The first thing I would do is define [itex]S= T^n[/itex] for that n so that S is a contraction. You can then show that the sequence [itex]T^m x_0[/itex] is a Cauchy sequence and so converges to some point [itex]x[/itex].

The point is that applying T to that x, Tx, is the same as applying T to each term in the sequence. But that just shifts the sequence by one place. It is still the same sequence and still converges to [itex]x[/itex]. That is, Tx=x.

Likes 1 person
mahler1 said:
Ok, but with that sequence, what I am goint to prove is that ##T^n## has a fixed point. If I call that point ##x##, would ##x## help me to find the fixed point of ##T## that I am looking for?

First you want to show that the fixed point is unique. If T^n(x)=x and T^n(y)=y, then x=y. Now can you show that if x is a fixed point then T(x) is also a fixed point?

Dick said:
First you want to show that the fixed point is unique. If T^n(x)=x and T^n(y)=y, then x=y. Now can you show that if x is a fixed point then T(x) is also a fixed point?

Suppose there are ##x,y \in X## such that ##T^n(x)=x## and ##T^n(y)=y##, ##d(x,y)=d(T^n(x),T^n(y))\leq \alpha d(x,y)## and this inequality holds if and only if ##x=y##.

Now let ##x## be the fixed point of ##T^n##, ##T^n(T(x))=T(T^n(x))=T(x)##. It follows that ##T(x)## is a fixed point but by unicity we have that ##T(x)=x##, which means ##x## is a fixed point of ##T##. One can prove unicity using the fact that ##T^n## is a contraction.

Thank you very much!

BTW it might be tempting to think that if T^n is a contraction, then T must be a contraction. That's not true. Take X=R^2 and T to be the linear mapping represented by the matrix [[0,1],[1/2,0]]. T is not a contraction. T^2 is a contraction. Show that if you are interested.

Likes 1 person
mahler1 said:
Suppose there are ##x,y \in X## such that ##T^n(x)=x## and ##T^n(y)=y##, ##d(x,y)=d(T^n(x),T^n(y))\leq \alpha d(x,y)## and this inequality holds if and only if ##x=y##.

Now let ##x## be the fixed point of ##T^n##, ##T^n(T(x))=T(T^n(x))=T(x)##. It follows that ##T(x)## is a fixed point but by unicity we have that ##T(x)=x##, which means ##x## is a fixed point of ##T##. One can prove unicity using the fact that ##T^n## is a contraction.

Thank you very much!

Very welcome. Nicely done!

Likes 1 person
Dick said:
BTW it might be tempting to think that if T^n is a contraction, then T must be a contraction. That's not true. Take X=R^2 and T to be the linear mapping represented by the matrix [[0,1],[1/2,0]]. T is not a contraction. T^2 is a contraction. Show that if you are interested.

Thanks for the remark, I appreciate it. Another example could be ##f:[\frac{1}{4},\frac{1}{2}] \to [\frac{1}{4},\frac{1}{2}]## defined as ##f(x)=x##. ##f## is clearly not a contraction but ##f^2## is a contraction.

mahler1 said:
Thanks for the remark, I appreciate it. Another example could be ##f:[\frac{1}{4},\frac{1}{2}] \to [\frac{1}{4},\frac{1}{2}]## defined as ##f(x)=x##. ##f## is clearly not a contraction but ##f^2## is a contraction.

f^2(x) means f(f(x)). f(f(x))=f(x)=x. I'm not sure that's a good example. You really have to go to more than one dimension to get a linear example.

Dick said:
f^2(x) means f(f(x)). f(f(x))=f(x)=x. I'm not sure that's a good example. You really have to go to more than one dimension to get a linear example.

Oops.

1. What is a fixed point theorem?

A fixed point theorem is a mathematical statement that guarantees the existence of a point in a given space that remains unchanged under a certain function or transformation. In other words, it is a point that is mapped onto itself by a given function.

2. How is a function considered a contraction?

A function is considered a contraction if it satisfies the condition that the distance between the images of any two points in the space is always less than the distance between the two original points. In other words, a contraction function decreases the distance between points in the space.

3. What is the significance of T^n being a contraction?

If T^n is a contraction, it means that the function T is repeatedly applied to itself, and each time it creates a smaller and smaller distance between the images of points in the space. This is significant because it guarantees the existence of a fixed point, as long as certain conditions are met.

4. What are the conditions for a fixed point to exist using a fixed point theorem?

The conditions for a fixed point to exist using a fixed point theorem include the function being a contraction, the space being complete, and the space being non-empty. These conditions ensure that the function will eventually converge to a fixed point in the space.

5. Can the fixed point theorem be applied to any function?

No, the fixed point theorem can only be applied to functions that satisfy the conditions of being a contraction and being applied to a complete and non-empty space. If these conditions are not met, the existence of a fixed point cannot be guaranteed.