1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum norm and Banach fixed-point theorem

1. Apr 28, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi everybody! I have a math problem to solve, I'd like to check if I understand well the Banach fixed-point theorem in the case of Euclidean norm and how to deal with maximum norm.

Check if the following functions ƒ: ℝ2 → ℝ2 are strictly contractive in relation to the given norms:
    [tex]\mbox{a) } || \cdot ||_2 , f(x_1,x_2) = \frac{1}{2} (sin x_1, cos x_2)
    \\ \mbox{b) } || \cdot ||_2 , f(x_1,x_2) = \frac{1}{2} (x_1 + x_2, x_2)
    \\ \mbox{c) } || \cdot ||_{\infty} , f(x_1,x_2) = \frac{1}{2} (x_1 + x_2, x_2)
    [/tex]

(note: not sure about my translation, can you say "contractive" in english?)

2. Relevant equations

Banach fixed-point theorem, mean value theorem for a), definition of norms

3. The attempt at a solution

I found it was not so easy to prove that the functions were strictly contractive or not, but here is a go:

[tex] \mbox{a) } || \frac{1}{2} \binom{sin x_1}{cos x_2} - \frac{1}{2} \binom{sin y_1}{cos y_2} ||_2 = \frac{1}{2} || \binom{sin x_1 - sin y_1}{cos x_2 - cos y_2} ||_2 \\
    = \frac{1}{2} \sqrt{(sin x_1 - sin y_1)^2 + (cos x_2 - cos y_2)^2} \\
    = \frac {1}{2} \sqrt{cos^2(α) (x_1 - y_1)^2 + sin^2 (β) (x_2 - y_2)^2} ≤ \frac{1}{2} \sqrt{(x_1 - y_1)^2 - (x_2 - y_2)^2} = \frac{1}{2} || \binom{x_1 - y_1}{x_2 - y_2} ||_2 \\
    \mbox{(note that I made use of the mean value theorem to show the inequality)} \\
    c < 1 \implies f(x_1,x_2) \mbox{ is strictly contractive.}
    [/tex]

Is that correct? Am I understanding the Banach fixed-point theorem correctly? Now start the problems:

[tex] \mbox{b) } || \frac{1}{2} \binom{x_1 + x_2}{x_2} - \frac{1}{2} \binom{y_1 + y_2}{y_2} ||_2 = \frac{1}{2} \sqrt{(x_1 + x_2 - y_1 - y_2)^2 + (x_2 - y_2)^2} \\
    = \frac{1}{2} \sqrt{x_1^2 + 2x_1 x_2 + x_2^2 - 2x_1y_1 + 2x_1y_2 - 2 x_2y_1 + 2x_2y_2 + y_1^2 - 2y_1y_2 + y_2^2 + (x_2 - y_2)^2} \\
    = \frac{1}{2} \sqrt{(x_1 - y_1)^2 + (x_2 - y_2)^2 + (x_2 + y_2)^2 + 2(x_1x_2 + x_1y_2 - x_2y_1 - y_1y_2)}
    [/tex]

Ehem... It seems to me that it would require a c bigger than 1 to make the inequality of the Banach theorem work, therefore the function would not be strictly contractive. On another hand the ½ makes it hard to prove... Is my intuition correct? Any clue about how to prove it if so?

And for c) I don't have a clue really. According to the definition in my teacher's script:

[tex]
    c \cdot || \binom{x_1 - y_1}{x_2 - y_2} ||_{\infty} = c \cdot max | \binom{x_1 - y_1}{x_2 - y_2} | \\
    \mbox{and} \\
    \frac{1}{2} || \binom{x_1 + x_2 - y_1 - y_2}{x_2 - y_2} ||_{\infty} = \frac{1}{2} \cdot max | \binom{x_1 + x_2 - y_1 - y_2}{x_2 - y_2} |
    [/tex]

But what does that mean? It seems to me like those maximums are not existing! :wideeyed: Is that the case? If yes, what can I conclude? If no, I must have misunderstood how to determine the maximum of a function in ℝ2...or the definition of a maximum norm altogether!

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Julien.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2016 #2
    Nobody has an idea? :smile:

4. Apr 28, 2016 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That looks good. You have shown it is a contraction map. That is just a definition, regardless of the Banach fixed-point theorem.

If you suspect it isn't true, find a couple of points ##X=(x_1,x_2)## and ##Y=(y_1,y_2)## where ##\|f(X) - f(Y)\| > \| X-Y\|##. With a little fiddling around, that shouldn't be difficult.

I will look at the third one if I have time.

5. Apr 28, 2016 #4

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For c), since ##f## is linear, you can simplify it somewhat by looking at ##||f(x)||_\infty =\frac12 ||(x_1+x_2,x_2)||_\infty##. As @LCKurtz suggested for b), you can rather easily find values for ##(x_1,x_2)## that answer the question whether ##f## is a contraction or not.

6. Apr 28, 2016 #5
    @LCKurtz @Samy_A Hi guys and thanks for your answers!

I've been trying to find values of x and y for which ∥f(X)−f(Y)∥>∥X−Y∥ but I couldn't! Could you? I tried to put the highest value for x1 and the smallest for y1 but the ½ makes that I always get smaller than ∥X−Y∥! I now think it is a contraction, but I must work harder to prove it (if i'm right). I'll get back to you tomorrow.

I did that, and to my mind the maximum of |(x1 + x2 - y1 - y2, x2 - y2)| is |(∞,∞)|... Same thing for the maximum of |(x1 - y1, x2 - y2)|. That would be the case for example if x has an infinitely high value for both x1 and x2 while y = (0, 0), right?

Thanks a lot for your help, I appreciate it.

Julien.

7. Apr 28, 2016 #6

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There may be a good reason why you can't find values of x and y for which ∥f(X)−f(Y)∥>∥X−Y∥
    But, to prove ##f## is not a contraction, it is sufficient to find a ##x \neq (0,0)## such that ##∥f(x)∥_\infty=∥x∥_\infty##.
    Of course the maximum of the norms over the whole ##\mathbb R^2## is ##\infty##. But that is not what you have to check.
    You have (for c)) to compare ##∥f(x)∥_\infty## with ##∥x∥_\infty##.
    Let's take an example: ##x=(x_1,x_2)=(1,2)##.
    Then ##∥x∥_\infty = \max(1,2)=2##, ##∥f(x)∥_\infty =\frac12\max(1+2,2)=\frac12 . 3=1.5##.

8. Apr 28, 2016 #7
    Does that apply even when the norm specified for the problem is [tex]|| \cdot ||_2 ?[/tex]

Aha that is already quite different from what I had in mind. I'm giving it a go now and I'll post again after that.

Thanks for those precious explanations!

Julien.

9. Apr 28, 2016 #8
    [tex]
    || f(x) - f(y) ||_{\infty} = \frac{1}{2} \cdot max |(x_1 + x_2 - y_1 - y_2, x_2 - y_2)| = \frac{1}{2} \cdot |x_1 - y_1 + x_2 - y_2| \\

||x - y||_{\infty} = max \cdot |(x_1 - y_1, x_2 - y_2)| = \frac{1}{2} \cdot |x_1 - y_1 + x_2 - y_2| (\mbox{for } x_2 - y_2 = x_1 - y_1) \\
    \implies c = 1 \implies \mbox{The function is not a contraction.} [/tex]
    Is that correct then?

Julien.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  10. Apr 29, 2016 #9

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes.

By definition, a contraction mapping (as used in the Banach fixed-point theorem) ##T: X \to X##, where ##X## is a normed space, satisfies ##\forall x,y \in X: ||Tx-Ty|| \leq q||x-y||##, where ##q \in [0,1[##.
    Notice that ##0\leq q<1##.
    If ##T## is linear, this is really saying that ##||T||<1##.

It certainly shows that ##c \geq 1##, proving that the function is not a contraction.
    It is correct that ##c=1##. That's why you couldn't find ##x,y## satisfying ##||f(x)-f(y)||_\infty>||x-y||_\infty##.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  11. Apr 29, 2016 #10
    @Samy_A Great! Thx a lot! For b) it is a bit farfetched but I think I got it too:

[tex]
    \frac{1}{2} \sqrt{|x_1 - y_1 + x_2 - y_2|^2 + |x_2 - y_2|^2} ≤ \frac{1}{2} \sqrt{|x_1 - y_1|^2 + 2|x_1 - y_1| \cdot |x_2 - y_2|^2 + 2|x_2 - y_2|^2} \\
    ≤ \frac{1}{2} \sqrt{2|x_1 - y_1|^2 + 3|x_2 - y_2|^2} \\
    ≤ \sqrt{\frac{3}{4} |x_1 - y_1|^2 + \frac{3}{4} |x_2 - y_2|^2} \\
    = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} || \binom{x_1}{x_2} - \binom{y_1}{y_2} ||_2 \\
    \implies \mbox{f is a contraction!}
    [/tex]

At least I got a c smaller than 1! :D

Julien.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted