1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flat Space - Christoffel symbols and Ricci = 0?

1. Feb 14, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(a) Find christoffel symbols and ricci tensor
    (b) Find the transformation to the usual flat space form ## g_{\mu v} = diag (-1,1,1,1)##.

ricci1.png
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Part(a)

I have found the metric to be ## g_{tt} = g^{tt} = -1, g_{xt} = g_{tx} = 2c, g_{xx} = g^{xx} = 0, g_{yy} = g^{yy} = 1, g_{zz} = g^{zz} = 1##.

The christoffel symbols can be calculated by:
    [tex] \Gamma_{\alpha \beta}^{\mu} = \frac{1}{2} g^{\mu v} \left( \frac{\partial g_{\alpha v}}{\partial x^{\beta}} + \frac{\partial g_{v \beta}}{\partial x^{\alpha}} - \frac{\partial g_{\alpha \beta}}{\partial x^{v}} \right) [/tex]

Since all components of the metric are constants, it means ##\Gamma_{\alpha \beta}^{\mu} = 0## and ##R_{\alpha \beta}^{\mu} = 0##.

Part (b)

I'm not sure how to approach this question. I know I have to find the Jacobian ##\frac{\partial \tilde{x^{\mu}}}{\partial x^{v}}##. I also know the transformation is ##\tilde{g_{\alpha \beta}} = \frac{\partial x^{\mu}}{\partial \tilde{x^{\alpha}}} \frac{\partial x^v}{\partial \tilde{x^{\beta}}} g_{\mu v}##.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2015 #2
    Any input for part (b)?

4. Feb 15, 2015 #3

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For both the original line element and the usual flat space line element the metric components are constants. This suggests a linear transformation. So, maybe introduce a new time coordinate ##\tilde{t} = at + bx## where you can try to find values of ##a## and ##b## to do the job.

5. Feb 15, 2015 #4
    Letting ## c \tilde t = c t - x## makes it work because ##c^2 d \tilde t^2 = c^2dt^2 - 2ct ~dt dx + dx^2##.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  6. Feb 15, 2015 #5

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Looks right.

7. Feb 15, 2015 #6
    Thanks alot for all your help! I'm just starting out in GR so I'm learning as hard as I can.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted