Flexural Strength of Aluminum 6061?

In summary: I found the yield strength on the steel to be around 350 MPa (54 ksi). Because the allowable stress is around twice the yield strength, I decided to use that value.
mcouch
Hi all,

I've got a pressure vessel that is just an aluminum cylinder with flat caps welded to the ends. Currently, I doing some FEA to properly size those flat caps for a certain factor of safety. Since the pressure in the tank will cause a uniformly distributed load on the wetted surface of the cap, I understand I'm dealing with bending stresses. My plan was to calculate the Von Mises Stress and compare it to the bending strength (or flexural strength), but I can't seem to find that strength property for aluminum 6061 anywhere!

Is there a reason this isn't a well documented material property? Or, if I've gone down a wrong path here, can someone help guide me back onto the right one?

Any help is appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
mcouch: Because your aluminum 6061 material is isotropic and linearly-elastic, the flexural yield strength is the tensile yield strength.

There are a few different types of 6061, Annealed or Tempered/Heat Treated (T4 and T6).

Yield Stength is:
6061-O temper is 55 MPa (8 ksi)
6061 T6 is about 275-276 MPa (40 ksi)

Source: Fundamentals of Materials Science and Engineering by William Callister , Jr.

Pressure vessels should comply with the codes applicable in your country. For example, in the US this might fall under either a piping code or the boiler and pressure vessel code, depending on size and pressure rating. Those codes have an allowable stress listed depending on the temperature the vessel is exposed to.

Q_Goest said:
Pressure vessels should comply with the codes applicable in your country. For example, in the US this might fall under either a piping code or the boiler and pressure vessel code, depending on size and pressure rating. Those codes have an allowable stress listed depending on the temperature the vessel is exposed to.

This is a good post

I would check into ASME BPVC Section II Part D, OR go to Battelle MMPDS-04

In some cases the materials are not very well characterized, or testing hasnt been done, in these cases you will not find any specifications

I recently had to calculate an allowable stress (I used ASME B31.3 basic rules) for 15-5 Stainless Steel because no Code I could find had one

What is the definition of flexural strength?

Flexural strength is the measure of a material's ability to resist bending or breaking when a force is applied perpendicular to its surface.

What is the typical flexural strength of aluminum 6061?

The typical flexural strength of aluminum 6061 ranges from 276-355 MPa, depending on the temper and manufacturing process.

How does the temper affect the flexural strength of aluminum 6061?

The temper, or heat treatment, of aluminum 6061 can greatly affect its flexural strength. For example, the T6 temper has a higher flexural strength than the T4 temper due to the addition of heat treatment.

What factors can affect the flexural strength of aluminum 6061?

Factors such as the manufacturing process, alloy composition, temper, and material thickness can all affect the flexural strength of aluminum 6061. Other external factors, such as temperature and loading conditions, can also play a role.

How is the flexural strength of aluminum 6061 tested?

The flexural strength of aluminum 6061 is typically tested using a three-point bending test, where a force is applied to the center of a sample until it breaks. The maximum force applied before the sample breaks is then used to calculate the flexural strength.