Strength of aluminum 6061 vs 7075

In summary, the individual is seeking help with designing a lever to pivot a 40"x60"x1.5" framed mirror using an actuator. They have questions about the support platform ("B") for the lever and whether a 24"x40" .25 7075 aluminum plate or 6061 in the T6 temper would be suitable without bending more than 1/8" under the forced being exerted to lift/tilt the mirror. The platform must be up to 1.5" thick and weigh no more than 25 pounds. The individual is not a materials or mechanical engineer and is seeking advice from experts.
flashinthepan
Hello and thanks in advance for any help given. I have attached a drawing of sorts (please excuse the novice attempt) for a design I am working on to pivot a 40"x60"x1.5" item framed mirror) using an actuator.

My question is specific to the part of the design marked "B" in red. Basically this design is a lever of sorts lifting and tilting an item.

If the item "B" is bolted down onto the top surface plate (so marked in the drawing) which is 14.5" square (has bent down sides for added strength, will the item B which is 24" x 40" .25 7075 aluminum plate bend as the item on top is being tilted or lifted? Would 6061 in the T6 temper provide the necessary support (or any other type of aluminum plate for that matter) without bending more than 1/8" of an inch from the forced being exerted to left/tilt the mirror?

There are probably hundreds of different ways to accomplish this but those are beyond my control. I am tasked with finding a platform ("B") to support everything above it. Everything else in the drawing is out of my control but I can control what "B" is.

"B" can be up to 1.5" thick but not have dimensions larger than 24"x40" in area. It must also weigh no more than about 25 pounds.

Again, much thanks. I posted my question here since it seemed to be more suited to materials engineering (which I am not) than mechanical engineering (also which I am not).

Attachments

• Plate1.jpg
    Plate1.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 514
Engineering news on Phys.org
You'll need to show dimensions if you want a meaningful answer. However, both alloys share the same modulus of elasticity, so calculated deflection will be the same.

1. What is the difference between the strength of aluminum 6061 and 7075?

Aluminum 6061 and 7075 are both commonly used in the aerospace and automotive industries, but there are significant differences in their strength. The 7075 alloy has a higher strength-to-weight ratio and is generally considered to be stronger than 6061. This is due to the higher percentage of zinc and copper in 7075, which increases its tensile strength and hardness.

2. Which alloy is more commonly used for high-stress applications?

7075 is typically used for high-stress applications such as aircraft structures, bike frames, and high-performance automotive parts. Its superior strength and toughness make it a preferred choice for these applications compared to 6061, which is better suited for general purpose use.

3. Does the strength of aluminum 6061 and 7075 differ at different temperatures?

Yes, the strength of both alloys can vary at different temperatures. 6061 has a higher resistance to thermal fatigue, making it more suitable for applications that experience frequent temperature changes. On the other hand, 7075 has a lower melting point and can become softer at higher temperatures, which can affect its strength.

4. How does the manufacturing process affect the strength of these alloys?

The strength of aluminum 6061 and 7075 can also vary depending on the manufacturing process used. For example, 7075 can be heat-treated to further increase its strength, but this process can also make it more brittle. 6061 is generally considered to be more weldable and formable, making it easier to work with during the manufacturing process.

5. Are there any other factors besides strength that should be considered when choosing between these two alloys?

Yes, strength is just one aspect to consider when choosing between aluminum 6061 and 7075. Other factors include cost, availability, corrosion resistance, and machinability. 6061 is typically more affordable and easier to source, while 7075 has better corrosion resistance and is more difficult to machine due to its harder composition.