1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Floating Objects Affected by the Moon

1. May 30, 2013 #1
    This seems like a pretty simple question, but I haven't been able to find an answer yet. It has to do with gravity, so even though it's not really about special relativity, this seems like the best place to post it.
    My question is; if an object were free-floating in perfectly still water, without currents, would it move in a circular patter due to the Moon's gravity? If not; under what conditions, if any, could the Moon's gravity move a solid object?
    (p.s. I already know that the Moon moves the Earth's tectonic plates, I was wondering about smaller objects.)

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Welcome to PF;

Are you thinking of tides here?
    That would be classical physics.

The Moon's gravity affects the motion of everything just as the Earth and the Sun do... or anything with mass.
    The details depend on the situation... under gravity the water, your example, would not be perfectly still ... as the moon passes you get a tide - everything gets tides.

4. May 31, 2013 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The water would show some tides, so the object could be dragged along with the water.
    It does not have to be a circle - tidal patterns are often complicated.

If you manage to let an object float over a perfectly balanced surface (magnetic levitation?), it could move in a bigger circle - at least in theory.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook