Floating Water Bridge and Dielectric Strength per Volume

In summary, the conversation discusses the electrostatic discharge and breakdown of water, with a specific focus on the experiment of the floating water bridge. The breakdown of water is measured in volts per meter and does not require a specific volume. However, the distance between electrodes and the volume of water can affect the required voltage for breakdown.
HelloCthulhu
I recently watched a great video demonstrating the floating water bridge experiment:

At around 34 sec, you can see an electrostatic discharge before the water bridge forms. I've read that this is due to the electrostatic breakdown of air between the two beakers.This made me curious about the electrostatic breakdown of water, which is listed on wiki as 65-70MV per meter. My question is, at what volume would this be true? If electrostatic breakdown is measured in volts/meter, would the volume be measured in cubic meters? Any help understanding this concept would be greatly appreciated!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
V/m is a measure of electric field: no volume required. So if you have two electrodes in water that are one meter apart, you need to apply 65 MV to get dielectric breakdown of the water.

Likes HelloCthulhu
Thank you so much for responding. Just to make sure I understand this correctly, I'll purpose this scenario. Let's say I fill a 1 cubic centimeter container with water and place electrodes on either side. With roughly a distance of 1 centimeter (0.01m) between the electrodes, would the dielectric breakdown of the water equal 600kV?

More like 650 kV, but yes, that's how it scales.

Likes HelloCthulhu

1. What is a Floating Water Bridge?

A Floating Water Bridge is a phenomenon in which a thin column of water can be suspended between two electrodes without any physical support. This bridge is formed when a high voltage is applied to the water, causing it to become highly charged and able to withstand gravity.

2. How is the Floating Water Bridge created?

The Floating Water Bridge is created by placing two electrodes in a container filled with deionized water. When a high voltage is applied to the electrodes, it creates an electric field that causes the water molecules to align and form a bridge between the electrodes.

3. What is Dielectric Strength per Volume?

Dielectric Strength per Volume is a measure of the maximum amount of electric field that a material can withstand before it breaks down and becomes conductive. In the case of the Floating Water Bridge, it refers to the amount of voltage that can be applied to the water before the bridge collapses.

4. Why is the Floating Water Bridge important?

The Floating Water Bridge has potential applications in various fields such as energy storage, water purification, and biomedicine. It also provides a unique platform for studying the behavior of water under high electric fields, which can further our understanding of this essential molecule.

5. How can the Dielectric Strength per Volume be increased?

The Dielectric Strength per Volume can be increased by using a higher dielectric constant material for the electrodes, such as a metal or a polar liquid. Additionally, adding ions or impurities to the water can also increase its dielectric strength, making it easier to form and maintain the Floating Water Bridge.