Water as a dielectric. Is this video a good demonstration?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of water as a dielectric and its effect on capacitance, as well as the breakdown voltage of water and its comparison to air. The dielectric constant of water is mentioned to be around 80, and its use as a conductor in high power radio valves is also mentioned. The original poster is seeking clarification on their experiment and potential hypothesis about the behavior of water as a dielectric.
HelloCthulhu
I found, at least in my uneducated opinion, a very good demonstration of water as a dielectric. I understand that putting water in a bag will change the dielectric constant of the water in it somewhat, but I think the capacitance meter at least makes water's value as a dielectric visually quantifiable. In the video, the ziplock bag of water increases the capacitance of the capacitor by a factor of 100.

Over a week ago, I posted a homework question I theorized regarding the breakdown voltage of water. But due to electrolysis in the capacitor, the calculations were deemed inconclusive. Could I use this scenario as a basis for hypothesizing the behavior of water as a dielectric? Any thoughts on this are greatly appreciated.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...air-and-water-capacitors.939151/#post-5940147

Chemistry news on Phys.org
HelloCthulhu said:
Could I use this scenario as a basis for hypothesizing the behavior of water as a dielectric?
Why would you think otherwise? As ygggdrasil said, and as the guy in the video said, water has a dialectic constant of about 80 and air is 1.

phinds said:
Why would you think otherwise? As ygggdrasil said, and as the guy in the video said, water has a dialectic constant of about 80 and air is 1.

Just making sure! I'll repost the equations I was working on in the chem homework thread. I hope I get it right this time.

HelloCthulhu said:
regarding the breakdown voltage of water.
High purity water is a pretty good insulator with a high breakdown voltage. High power Radio Valves have water cooled Anodes and they have EHT voltages of tens of kV.

Likes HelloCthulhu

Related to Water as a dielectric. Is this video a good demonstration?

1. What is a dielectric?

A dielectric is a material that can store and transmit electric energy. It is an insulating material that does not allow the flow of electric current, but can be polarized by an electric field.

2. How does water act as a dielectric?

Water molecules are polar, meaning they have a positive and negative charge on opposite ends. When an electric field is applied, the water molecules align themselves with the field, creating a separation of charges and allowing for the storage and transmission of electric energy.

3. What are the properties of water that make it a good dielectric?

Water has a high dielectric constant, meaning it is able to store a large amount of electric charge. It also has a low viscosity, allowing for easy movement of charges. Additionally, water is readily available and non-toxic, making it a practical choice for use as a dielectric.

4. How is water used as a dielectric in practical applications?

Water is commonly used as a dielectric in capacitors, which are electronic components used to store and regulate electric charge. It is also used in high voltage transformers and as an insulating material in electrical equipment.

5. Is the video a good demonstration of water as a dielectric?

The video appears to be a good demonstration of water as a dielectric. It shows the alignment of water molecules in an electric field and how this allows for the transmission of electric energy. However, it is always important to conduct further research and experimentation to fully understand the properties and applications of water as a dielectric.