Water as a dielectric. Is this video a good demonstration?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
HelloCthulhu
Messages
150
Reaction score
3
I found, at least in my uneducated opinion, a very good demonstration of water as a dielectric. I understand that putting water in a bag will change the dielectric constant of the water in it somewhat, but I think the capacitance meter at least makes water's value as a dielectric visually quantifiable. In the video, the ziplock bag of water increases the capacitance of the capacitor by a factor of 100.



Over a week ago, I posted a homework question I theorized regarding the breakdown voltage of water. But due to electrolysis in the capacitor, the calculations were deemed inconclusive. Could I use this scenario as a basis for hypothesizing the behavior of water as a dielectric? Any thoughts on this are greatly appreciated.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...air-and-water-capacitors.939151/#post-5940147
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
HelloCthulhu said:
Could I use this scenario as a basis for hypothesizing the behavior of water as a dielectric?
Why would you think otherwise? As ygggdrasil said, and as the guy in the video said, water has a dialectic constant of about 80 and air is 1.
 
phinds said:
Why would you think otherwise? As ygggdrasil said, and as the guy in the video said, water has a dialectic constant of about 80 and air is 1.

Just making sure! I'll repost the equations I was working on in the chem homework thread. I hope I get it right this time.
 
HelloCthulhu said:
regarding the breakdown voltage of water.
High purity water is a pretty good insulator with a high breakdown voltage. High power Radio Valves have water cooled Anodes and they have EHT voltages of tens of kV.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: HelloCthulhu