1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flow line in conservative vector field

1. Dec 10, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Recall that a flow line, c(t), of a vector field F has c'(t)=F(c(t)) at all times t. Show all work below.
    a.) Let c(t) be the flow line of a particle moving in a conservative force field F=-grad(f), where f:R^3->R, f(x,y,z) >=0 for all (x,y,z), represents the potential energy at each point in space. Prove that the particle will always move towards a point with lower potential energy. What is the limit of F(c(t)) as t goes to infinity?

2. Relevant equations
    F=-grad(f)
    c'(t)=F(c(t))

3. The attempt at a solution
    We are trying to show that f(c(t)) is a decreasing function of t. So far, I have that
    grad[f(c(t))]=grad(f(c(t))*c'(t) thru chain rule
    grad[f(c(t))]=grad(f(c(t))*F(c(t)) because c(t) is a flow line
    grad[f(c(t))]=grad(f(c(t))*-grad(f(c(t)) by the definition of F
    grad[f(c(t))]=-(grad(f(c(t))^2

But I am not sure if this really helps at all. Is this the right direction to go in, or am I completely off base?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2014 #2

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Recall that vectors in a vector field are tangent to the flow lines. Since ##\vec c(t)## is a flow line, you know that ##\vec F(\vec c(t)) = \vec c'(t)##. That is, the vector field of the flow line is equal to the tangent to the flow line for all times ##t##.

You know ##\vec F## is conservative, and so ##\vec F = - \vec{\nabla f} = -(f_x \hat i + f_y \hat j + f_z \hat k)## for some potential function ##f(x, y, z) \geq 0##. The gradient of a function gives the direction of fastest increase. So minus the gradient gives the direction of fastest decrease.

Hence ##\vec F(\vec c(t)) = - \vec{\nabla f}(\vec c(t)) = \vec c'(t)##. Notice the tangent to the flow line is equal to the negative of the gradient of the potential function (which is decreasing). So it must be the case ##\vec c'(t)## is also decreasing. So as the particle moves along the flow line ##\vec c(t)##, its potential energy is decreasing.

Now what about ##\displaystyle \lim_{t \rightarrow \infty} \vec F(\vec c(t))##?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted