Flow of electricity: Open versus Closed Circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of open and closed circuits and how they affect the flow of electricity. It is explained that in a closed circuit, there is more flow and therefore less resistance compared to an open circuit. The brightness of bulb B is not affected by the switch, but in a closed circuit, it would be brighter than bulb C due to the split flow from the battery. The conversation also includes a link for further help, but the person later states that they understand the concept.
MitsuShai
I need help understanding this conceptually, so can anybody please correct me and help me understand this?
If I'm correct then just say so.Diagram: http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k327/ProtoGirlEXE/labVpic3.jpg
the circles are bulbsOk so the basically in an open circuit there is no flow and in a closed circuit there is flow.

Question 1 : When the switch is closed what happens to the Resistance between P & Q?
Well the resistance is smaller because there is more flow in closed circuit. The bigger the flow the smaller the resistance.

Question 2: What's bigger the resistance to battery in a closed or open switch?
In a open switch, because there is less flow in the circuit. The smaller the flow, the bigger the resistance.

Question 3: How does closing the switch effect the flow of electricity from battery?
Well, this one I can't come up with an answer because the flow out of the battery should be the same regardless of the switch right? And if you look in the diagram only part of the circuit is cut off from an open switch, so in an open switch the flow would be from B to P to A to Q then back to the battery. And in a closed switch bulb C is added, so the paths are different. However, in both paths the same amount of flow is going through the circuit right?

Question 4: What is the brightness of bulb B when switch is closed to open?
Well the switch does not effect bulb B, only bulb C, so there would be no difference.

Question 5: In a closed circuit, what is the brightness of bulb B compared to bulb C?
Bulb B would be brighter because C and A are parallel, so the flow from the battery is split in half equally between the two components, however bulb B has the full flow from the battery. Therefore B would be brighter than C.

Also can someone help me with this too: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=482028

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
nevermind, I understand now. :)

1. What is an open circuit?

An open circuit is a type of electrical circuit in which the flow of electricity is interrupted or broken, usually due to a gap or break in the circuit. This prevents the current from reaching its intended destination and causes the circuit to be incomplete.

2. What is a closed circuit?

A closed circuit is a type of electrical circuit in which the flow of electricity is continuous and uninterrupted, meaning there are no gaps or breaks in the circuit. This allows the current to reach its intended destination and power the desired components.

3. What is the difference between an open and closed circuit?

The main difference between an open and closed circuit is the presence or absence of a complete path for the flow of electricity. In an open circuit, the path is interrupted or incomplete, whereas in a closed circuit, the path is continuous and complete. This results in a difference in the flow of electricity and the functioning of the circuit.

4. How does a closed circuit allow for the flow of electricity?

In a closed circuit, the flow of electricity is made possible by the presence of a complete path for the current to travel through. This path is created by connecting all the necessary components in the circuit, such as wires, switches, and resistors. The closed circuit allows the current to flow from the positive terminal of the power source to the negative terminal, powering the components along the way.

5. What happens if an open circuit is created in a closed circuit?

If an open circuit is created in a closed circuit, the flow of electricity is interrupted and the circuit becomes incomplete. This can be caused by a break in the circuit, a disconnected component, or an open switch. As a result, the components in the circuit will stop receiving power and will not function until the circuit is closed again.