Flow of electricity and resistivity (ohms law)

In summary: After plugging the numbers into the equation the constant/product of both are 1/(3L).Did my ideas and explanations make sense? Please find any faults in my ideas and help me understand why I am wrong. I'm beginning to think this is pertaining to Kirchhoff's Law, not so sure though.I forgot the most important concept in this and that was that the flow increases with a small resistance, so here's a correction:The relationship that these two parallel components have is that the constant/product was the same because the obstacle on the right circuit is twice as big (2L), so the overall flow should be half as small (1/2). Thus, the math
MitsuShai
I think what I am doing is pertaining to ohms law but I'm not sure because we're not suppose to rely on equations or literal physics terms, but when we learned from previous labs. So this is mostly conceptual and I want to make sure I'm thinking through this correctly.

Diagram 1: http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k327/ProtoGirlEXE/Vpic1.jpg [Broken]

This is dealing with the equation constant= flow x obstacle (flow means the flow of electricity through the circuit and obstacle is basically the resistance). So the circuit has a flow of 1 glow (don't mind the units) and an obstacle of L. The bulbs are identical. determine the obstacle and product/constant for the 3 bulbs.
Well, there are two parallel components so the flow should be as is an the obstacle for a parallel circuit should be 1/L (and it's the same obstacle for both because they are identical), so H should have a obstacle of 1/L and a product/constant of (1 glow) x (L cm).

The both B and C should have an overall obstacle of 1/L, but they are in series with each other and in series the obstacle is not in inverse. So B and C should have an obstacle of 1/2L each ( and added together it would equal 1/L).
B and C would have a constant/product of (1 glow) x (1/(2L) cm)

The relationship that these two parallel components have is that the constant/product was the same because (I'm going to try my best to explain this well) H should have an inverse relationship with the obstacle. The obstacle between the parallel components H and B/C have the same obstacle of 1/L and both B and C added together should give 1/L, since in series the obstacles are added together thus B and C each would have an obstacle of 1/(2L).

Diagram 2: http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k327/ProtoGirlEXE/Vpic2.jpg [Broken]

These 2 components are NOT identical and thus one has an obstacle of L and the other 2L, what is the relationship between these and explain.
Well, they are parallel, so they should have the same constant/product. This happens because the component with an obstacle of 2L would have double the flow, so it would be about 2/3 and the component with an obstacle of L would have a flow of 1/3. After plugging the numbers into the equation the constant/product of both are 1/(3L).

Did my ideas and explanations make sense? Please find any faults in my ideas and help me understand why I am wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm beginning to think this is pertaining to Kirchhoff's Law, not so sure though.

I forgot the most important concept in this and that was that the flow increases with a small resistance, so here's a correction:I think what I am doing is pertaining to ohms law but I'm not sure because we're not suppose to rely on equations or literal physics terms, but when we learned from previous labs. So this is mostly conceptual and I want to make sure I'm thinking through this correctly.

Diagram 1: http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k327/ProtoGirlEXE/Vpic1.jpg [Broken]

This is dealing with the equation constant= flow x obstacle (flow means the flow of electricity through the circuit and obstacle is basically the resistance). So the circuit has a flow of 1 glow (don't mind the units) and an obstacle of L. The bulbs are identical. determine the obstacle and product/constant for the 3 bulbs.
It says in the problem that H as a glow of 1, so the product/constant is (1 glow)x(L cm).

The both B and C should have an overall flow of 1 (b/c it's in parallel) and an obstacle of L each, but they are in series with each other, so the flow should be lower than 1 but should sum to be 1. So B and C should have a glow of 1/2.
B and C each would have a constant/product of (1/2 glow) x (2L cm)

The relationship that these two parallel components have is that the constant/product was the same because (I'm going to try my best to explain this well) the obstacle on the right circuit is twice as big (2L), so the overall flow should be half as small (1/2). Thus, the math will show that the constant of the B/C circuit is (1 glow)(L cm), which is the same as the H component.Diagram 2: http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k327/ProtoGirlEXE/Vpic2.jpg [Broken]

These 2 components are NOT identical and thus one has an obstacle of L and the other 2L, what is the relationship between these and explain.
Well, they are parallel, so they should have the same constant/product. This happens because the component with an obstacle of 2L would have half the flow, so the 2L obstacle would have a glow of 3/4 and the component with an obstacle of L would have double the flow of the right component. So mathematically they would have the same product/constant.

If it was 2 identical components, then both components would have the same obstacle and the same flow, which would result in the same product/constant.Did my ideas and explanations make sense? Please find any faults in my ideas and help me understand why I am wrong.Also, I don't understand why the battery would have a flow of 3/2 glow (this was written in the lab).
And to find the product/constant of the overall network of C, B, and H, could I just add the products/constants I found before like this: (1 glow)(L cm) + (1 glow)(L cm)= (2 glow)(2L cm)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think my ideas are wrong because if 3/2 glow is coming out of the battery than it doesn't make sense that 1 glow is going to each of the two components...but the two components should have a glow of one right?

wait, nevermind. I understand this now.

1. What is the flow of electricity?

The flow of electricity is the movement of electrically charged particles, called electrons, through a conductive material. This flow is also known as an electric current.

2. What is resistivity?

Resistivity is a measure of a material's ability to resist the flow of electricity. It is represented by the Greek letter rho (ρ) and is measured in ohm-meters (Ω·m).

3. What is Ohm's law?

Ohm's law states that the current through a conductor between two points is directly proportional to the voltage across the two points, and inversely proportional to the resistance between them. This can be represented by the equation I = V/R, where I is the current, V is the voltage, and R is the resistance.

4. How does temperature affect resistivity?

Temperature can affect resistivity in some materials. Generally, as the temperature increases, the resistivity of a material also increases. This is due to increased collisions between the electrons and atoms in the material, which hinders the movement of electrons and thus increases resistance.

5. What factors affect the flow of electricity?

The flow of electricity is affected by several factors, including the material the current is flowing through, the temperature of the material, the length and cross-sectional area of the material, and the presence of any external factors such as magnetic fields. These factors can all impact the resistance of a material and therefore affect the flow of electricity.