Twist of an open versus closed cylinder

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the appropriate thickness for a closed and open tube in order to achieve the same twist angle and maximum shear stress. The equations for calculating the twist angle, J values, and shear stress for both types of tubes are provided, but the individual is struggling with solving the resulting equations. They ask for clarification or assistance in finding the solution.
Robin91

Homework Statement

a) Determine what the thickness should be in a closed tube versus an open tube to have the same twist angle
b) Determine what the thickness should be in a closed tube versus an open tube to have the same max shear stress

G=20GPa
T=50Nm
tr=1mm (for the open tube)

Also see the attachment

Homework Equations

a)
theta=(TL)/(GJ)

For closed:
J=pi/2(Ro^4-Ri^4)
Ro=Outer radius
Ri=inner radius

For open:
J=st^3/3 => J=1/3(D+tr)=1/3*pi*(D+1)
where:
s= circumference of circle (2pi*rm), rm is the radius up to the middle of the bar (between inner and outer, so 1/2D+1/2t)
t=thickness

b)

For closed:
tau=T*Ro/J

For open:
tau=T*t/J

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the J for the open and closed tube. However, I get a fourth degree equation, because I tried to substitute Ro=tl+D/2 into the equation to calculate J. After expansion I had terms containing tl^4, tl^3, tl^2 and tl, which resulted in a really long derivation of tl, however, I don't think that is necessary for this assignment. For the shear it was even worse, the resulting equation for tl didn't even fit on my paper.

Do I miss something here?

Thanks in advance,
Robin

P.s. Sorry for the equations written in this way, Latex didn't seem to work, it gave errors (while I was sure I typed it correctly)

Attachments

• torsion.pdf
    5.3 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is there anyone who can enlighten me?

Latex does work now, I'll restate the relevant equations (I can't edit my post)..

2. Homework Equations
a)
[tex]\theta=\frac{TL}{GJ}[/tex]

For closed:
[tex]J=\frac{\pi}{2(R_0^4-R_0^4)}[/tex]
Ro=Outer radius
Ri=inner radius

For open:
[tex]J=\frac{st^3}{3}[/tex] => [tex]J=\frac{1}{3}(D+tr)=\frac{1}{3}\pi(D+1)[/tex]
where:
s= circumference of circle (2pi*rm), rm is the radius up to the middle of the bar (between inner and outer, so 1/2D+1/2t)
t=thickness

b)

For closed:
[tex]\tau=\frac{TR_0}{J}[/tex]

For open:
[tex]\tau=\frac{Tt}{J}[/tex]

1. What is the difference between an open and a closed cylinder?

An open cylinder is a three-dimensional shape with a circular base and a curved surface that extends infinitely in height. The top of the cylinder is not covered, leaving the inside open. On the other hand, a closed cylinder has a circular base and a curved surface, but the top is covered, creating a solid shape.

2. What are the properties of an open cylinder?

An open cylinder has two parallel and congruent circular bases and a curved surface that is perpendicular to the bases. It also has an infinite height and a constant cross-sectional area.

3. How do you calculate the volume of an open cylinder?

The volume of an open cylinder can be calculated by multiplying the area of the base (πr^2, where r is the radius) by the height (h). Therefore, the formula for the volume of an open cylinder is V = πr^2h.

4. What are some real-life examples of open and closed cylinders?

An open cylinder can be seen in a drinking glass or a can of soda, where the top is open. A closed cylinder can be found in objects such as a soup can or a bottle of water, where the top is sealed with a lid.

5. How are open and closed cylinders used in engineering and design?

Open and closed cylinders are commonly used in engineering and design for their strength and stability. In architecture, columns and pillars are often designed as open or closed cylinders to provide support for buildings. In industrial design, pipes and tubes are often cylindrical in shape, whether they are open or closed, for efficient transport of liquids and gases.