1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Flow of liquid through a hole and distance traveled

1. Apr 1, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    if the flow rate of a liquid from a 10mm hole in a storage tank holding 5m of a liquid with a density of 490 kg/s, is 0.207 kg/s how far will this stream travel before it hits the ground and will it be contained by a dike 1 m away that is 1 m high

2. Relevant equations

Q=pAV => Q/pA = V
    s=ut+1/2at^2
    v=d/t

3. The attempt at a solution
    so using the eqn Q/pA = V i get a resultant velocity of 5.45 m/s
    using the vectors for the horizontal and vertical distances and the eqn s=ut+1/2at^2 I found that with this velocity the stream will travel for 0.7824s
    and then using the eqn v=d/t and changing it to find distnace vt= d i found that the stream would travel 4.26m

I am uncertain how to calculate how to determine if the dike will contain the flow, I believe it wont due to the height of the hole and the mass flow rate and velocity of the stream

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi jcy128! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Your method is correct, but I don't get 5.45 for v, and you seem to have used 3m instead of 5m for t.

For the last part of the question, simply find how long it takes to fall to the level of the top of the dyke, and then see how far it has moved horizontally. :smile:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook