Flow rate in a gravity fed water pipeline

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the maximum flow for a pipeline from a reservoir to an outlet. The approach involves considering the elevation head of the reservoir surface and matching the head loss to the elevation difference. The longitudinal profile of the pipeline may affect the flow rate, and the hydraulic grade line must be above the pipe elevation. The PN rating of the pipe may also vary with temperature. For more information and answers, the conversation thread linked in the post can be referenced.
gilesm89
Hi everyone,

First post here. Was hoping for some help from a pipeline guru.

I am looking into the maximum flow for a pipeline from a reservoir to an outlet about 40m lower.

The way I have been looking at it is what is elevation head of the reservoir surface and that is effectively the driving head for the flow. I am then looking at a pipe friction handbook and taking note of the head loss m/100m and then matching the total headloss to the elevation difference from reservoir surface to outlet. The book then gives me the flow rate in L/s for that value.

Am I on the right track? I did note that the longitudinal profile is a bit up and down (but never higher than the reservoir. Will this affect the flow rate? Must the hydraulic grade line be above the pipe elevation at all times?

Also the PN rating of pipe. As far as I understand PN8 could accommodate 80m of pressure. Does this vary with temperature?

Hope this makes sense!

Engineering news on Phys.org

1. What factors affect the flow rate in a gravity fed water pipeline?

The flow rate in a gravity fed water pipeline is affected by several factors including the diameter of the pipeline, the length and elevation of the pipeline, the viscosity of the water, and the presence of any obstacles or bends in the pipeline.

2. How do I calculate the flow rate in a gravity fed water pipeline?

The flow rate in a gravity fed water pipeline can be calculated using the Bernoulli's equation, which takes into account the pressure, height, and velocity of the water in the pipeline. The equation is Q = Av, where Q is the flow rate, A is the cross-sectional area of the pipeline, and v is the velocity of the water.

3. How does the slope of the pipeline affect the flow rate?

The slope of the pipeline can affect the flow rate in two ways. A steeper slope will result in a higher flow rate due to the increased gravitational force acting on the water. However, a steep slope can also cause more friction, which can decrease the flow rate.

4. What is the maximum flow rate that can be achieved in a gravity fed water pipeline?

The maximum flow rate in a gravity fed water pipeline is limited by the size and elevation of the source of water, as well as the diameter and length of the pipeline. The maximum flow rate can be calculated using the Bernoulli's equation and can also be affected by external factors such as the temperature and viscosity of the water.

5. How can I increase the flow rate in a gravity fed water pipeline?

The flow rate in a gravity fed water pipeline can be increased by decreasing the length and elevation of the pipeline, increasing the diameter of the pipeline, and reducing any obstacles or bends in the pipeline. Additionally, increasing the slope of the pipeline and using a pump to increase the pressure can also help to increase the flow rate.