1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid Dynamics, Buoyancy problem

1. Sep 22, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How many cubic metres of helium are required to lift a balloon with a 400 kg payload to 8000 m? Assume balloon maintains constant volume, and density of the air decreases with altitude z according to the expression [tex]\rho[/tex]air = [tex]\rho[/tex]^e^-z/8000, where z is in metres and po = 1.25 kg/m^3 is the density of air at sea level.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\rho[/tex]o = [tex]\rho[/tex]fluid(g)h
    B = [tex]\rho[/tex][(g)V
    [tex]\rho[/tex][ = m/v

mg < [tex]\rho[/tex](g)V (Not sure if this is right?? But buoyancy should be stronger if it is to rise, correct?)

I'm not sure how to go about this. I see I need to find volume, so I know the Buoyancy equation with be used, and I think I should find the Buoyancy-- so I assume I need to find the Buoyant force on the "payload" (whatever that is.) Since I don't know the payload's density or volume, I figure that probably
    mg = [tex]\rho[/tex](g)V
    (400)(9.81) = B = [tex]\rho[/tex](g)V

But this doesn't seem to make sense to me??
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2008 #2
    You need to determine whats the [tex]\rho[/tex] of air at 8000m to be able to find out the required buoyancy.
    I don't know if its requires, but take into consideration the weight of helium too.
  4. Sep 22, 2008 #3
    Ah :( So I have to use that bit with the e? I'm not really sure how :[ I'm assuming it's some kind of calculus thing...? Related rates, perhaps?
  5. Sep 22, 2008 #4
    Just plug in the z, which would be 8000m, and e is a known constant, just like pi.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?