Fluid flow inside a cylindrical tank

In summary: They work for any mix of incompressible fluids. In a given space, such as this tank, the sum of the fluid volumes is constant.
fer Mnaj
Homework Statement
In the interior of a cylindrical tank of diameter: D =24 m,
water flows through a tube 1 with velocity $$v_1 = 20 m/s$$ and exits through
of tubes 2 and 3 with velocities $$v_2 = 8 m/s$$ and $$v_3 = 10 m/s$$ respectively.
In 4 there is a valid vent valve open to atmospheric air.

a) What is the speed with which the water level rises inside the tank?
b) What is the average speed of the air flow in valve 4?

assuming air is incompressible. Suppose
the following pipe diameters: $$D1 = 3 m,
D2 = 2 m, D3 = 2.5 m, D4 = 2 m$$
Relevant Equations
$$A_1v_1=A_2v_2$$
$$P+ρgy+1/2 ρv^2=constant$$
Hi, I´m quite lost and would appreciate guidance

I have solved for 2 tubes using Bernoulli´s equation before, but now how does it change?
Is it really going to rise water level inside? Why?
3.png

Physics news on Phys.org
If the water level stays the same, what can you say about the flows in and out? Is that true of the flows here?

If you have the inlet and outlet diameters, you can calculate the cross area of each.
Then, you have the velocities of each flow; therefore you can calculate how much fluid enters and how much exits the tank.

Lnewqban said:
If you have the inlet and outlet diameters, you can calculate the cross area of each.
Then, you have the velocities of each flow; therefore you can calculate how much fluid enters and how much exits the tank.
Indeed:
$$A_1v_1=π(1.5m)^2(20m/s)$$
$$A_2v_2=π(1)^2(8m/s)$$
$$A_3v_3=π(1.25)^2(10m/s)$$

Then we can see that $$Q_1= 141.37 m^3/s$$ is way higher than $$Q_2= 25.13 m^3/s$$ and $$Q_3=49.08 m^3/s$$
So more water enters than exits. In that aspect makes sense.
Now I was thinking to treat tube 2 and 3 as one, could I do that?
How can I proceed to get the rising velocity of water?

This exercise is all about the relationship between area, flowrate, and velocity. You do not need Bernoulli to answer any of the parts.

fer Mnaj said:
Indeed:
$$A_1v_1=π(1.5m)^2(20m/s)$$
$$A_2v_2=π(1)^2(8m/s)$$
$$A_3v_3=π(1.25)^2(10m/s)$$

Then we can see that $$Q_1= 141.37 m^3/s$$ is way higher than $$Q_2= 25.13 m^3/s$$ and $$Q_3=49.08 m^3/s$$
So more water enters than exits. In that aspect makes sense.
Now I was thinking to treat tube 2 and 3 as one, could I do that?
How can I proceed to get the rising velocity of water?
So i decided to add $$Q_2$$ and $$Q_3$$, so I would substract them from $$Q_1$$ later.
I thought it would be like a $$Qnet$$, and that would be equal to $$(Atank) (vrise)$$.
Does it make sense?

fer Mnaj said:
Does it make sense?
Yes, I think so. Then you can answer part (b) the velocity of the exiting air.

gmax137 said:
Yes, I think so. Then you can answer part (b) the velocity of the exiting air.
I don´t get that part, does it mean that water is "pushing" the air throughout tube 4? Because continuity equations have worked when we were talking about the same fluid

fer Mnaj said:
continuity equations have worked when we were talking about the same fluid
They work for any mix of incompressible fluids. In a given space, such as this tank, the sum of the fluid volumes is constant.
Note you are told to treat the air as incompressible here.

1. What is fluid flow inside a cylindrical tank?

Fluid flow inside a cylindrical tank refers to the movement of a liquid or gas inside a cylindrical-shaped container. This can occur due to various factors such as gravity, pressure differentials, or mechanical agitation.

2. How is fluid flow inside a cylindrical tank measured?

Fluid flow inside a cylindrical tank can be measured using various methods such as flow meters, pressure gauges, or by calculating the volume of fluid entering or exiting the tank over a specific period of time.

3. What factors affect fluid flow inside a cylindrical tank?

The factors that affect fluid flow inside a cylindrical tank include the type of fluid, the viscosity of the fluid, the size and shape of the tank, the temperature, and any external forces or agitation applied to the tank.

4. How does the shape of a cylindrical tank affect fluid flow?

The shape of a cylindrical tank can affect fluid flow in several ways. The height and diameter of the tank can impact the pressure and velocity of the fluid, while any irregularities or obstacles inside the tank can cause turbulence and affect the flow patterns.

5. What are some practical applications of studying fluid flow inside a cylindrical tank?

Studying fluid flow inside a cylindrical tank has many practical applications, such as designing efficient storage and transportation systems for liquids or gases, optimizing industrial processes that involve fluid flow, and predicting and preventing potential issues such as leaks or blockages in pipelines or tanks.