Cylinder inside a cylindrical track

In summary, the conservation of energy principle is used to solve for the velocity of a rolling cylinder and the normal force acting on it. The minimum coefficient of static friction for the cylinder to not slip is found by considering the tangential acceleration and the acceleration of the center of mass around the point of contact. The angular acceleration of the cylinder is the same regardless of the choice of origin, but the angular momentum about an axis not at the body's mass center also takes into account the linear motion of the mass.
Nexus99
Homework Statement
A homogeneous cylinder of mass m and radius r rolls into a rough cylindrical rigid surface of radius R. The static friction coefficient between cylinder and surface is ## \mu_s ##.
Knowing that the cylinder is allowed to start at zero speed from the position shown in the figure at an angle ## \theta_0 ## respect to the vertical line. Calculate:
1) Assuming perfect rolling, the linear speed of the cylinder when it passes through the lowest point of the surface.
2) Assuming perfect rolling, the normal reaction to the surface when the cylinder passes through the lowest point of the surface
3) The minimum static friction coefficient for perfect rolling during the whole motion
Relevant Equations
pure rolling condition, conservation of energy, centripetal acceleration
Cattura.PNG

1) Conservation of energy
## mg(R-r)(1-cos \theta_0) = \frac{1}{2}mv^2 + \frac{1}{2} I \omega^2 ##
because of pure rolling ## \omega = \frac{v}{r} ##
So i got:
## v = \sqrt{\frac{4}{3} g (R-r) (1-cos(\theta_0))} ##

this is how i got normal force:
2) ## N - mg = m \frac{v^2}{R-r} ##
where v is the velocity that i found in point 1
i got:
## N = mg(\frac{7}{4} - \frac{4}{3}cos(\theta_0))##

3) this point is quite difficult, I'm not sure of my solution
minimum ## \mu_s ## can be obtained by the relation
## | F_r | ≤ \mu_s N ## [ ... ]
I thought that the point where there was more possibility of slipping was the one with the greatest tangential acceleration, that is the starting point
in that point:
## N = mgcos( \theta_0) ##
and:
## F_r r = I \alpha = I\frac{a_{CM}}{r}##
## -F_r + mgsin( \theta_0) = ma_t = m a_{CM} ##
where ## a_t ## is the tangential acceleration and ##a_{CM} ## is the acceleration of the the center of mass of the cylinder
combining these 2 equations i got
## F_r = \frac{mg sin( \theta_0 )}{3} ##
Inserting that value in the equation [ ... ], i found:
## \mu_{s_{min}} = \frac{tan{\theta_0}}{3} ##
is this correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
For 2, did you mean 7/4 or is that a typo?
For 3, sanity check you equations by considering R infinite.

haruspex said:
For 2, did you mean 7/4 or is that a typo?
For 3, sanity check you equations by considering R infinite.
There was something wrong, i modified my previous post

Your answer to 2 only needed one digit corrected, but now it is dimensionally wrong. You have a g2 term.

Edit: but I see you changed (1) as well... give me a moment.

Ok, why did you add the mgr at the end? This is already taken care of by the "-r)(1 " part of the LHS.

haruspex said:
Your answer to 2 only needed one digit corrected, but now it is dimensionally wrong. You have a g2 term.

Edit: but I see you changed (1) as well... give me a moment.
Now should be fine, it was a mistake

Okpluto said:
Now should be fine, it was a mistake
I still don’t see how you get 7/4.

Likes Delta2
Part 3 looks ok except for a typo in your working: FrR instead of Frr.

this is how i got ## \frac{7}{4} ##
## N - mg = m \frac{v^2}{R-r} ##
## N = mg + m\frac{4}{3} g (1-cos(\theta_0)) = mg(1 + \frac{4}{3} - \frac{4}{3}cos(\theta_0) ) = mg (\frac{7}{4} - \frac{4}{3}cos(\theta_0) ) ##
for part 3 you are right, i made a mistake it should be ## F_r r ##

Okpluto said:
this is how i got ## \frac{7}{4} ##
## N - mg = m \frac{v^2}{R-r} ##
## N = mg + m\frac{4}{3} g (1-cos(\theta_0)) = mg(1 + \frac{4}{3} - \frac{4}{3}cos(\theta_0) ) = mg (\frac{7}{4} - \frac{4}{3}cos(\theta_0) ) ##
for part 3 you are right, i made a mistake it should be ## F_r r ##
##1+\frac 43=?##

Ok, it's ##\frac{7}{3}## ...

haruspex said:
##1+\frac 43=?##
I have a question, when i solved point 3 i thought that ##a_{cm} = a_t## because i visualized the vector ##\vec{a}_{cm}## and i believed that it can't be radial, if that's true, what about centripetal acceleration? isn't connected with ##a_{cm}## ? and the angular acceleration due to circular motion of the cylinder is different from the angular acceleration due to the rotation of the center of mass around the point of contact?

Okpluto said:
what about centripetal acceleration?
At the point of release, the velocity is zero, so no centripetal acceleration.
Okpluto said:
the angular acceleration due to circular motion of the cylinder is different from the angular acceleration due to the rotation of the center of mass around the point of contact?
The rate of rotation of a rigid body wrt the axes of a coordinate system is the same regardless of the choice of origin. If you consider a line through two points of the body it turns through a certain angle in a certain time, independently of the choice of the two points.
But don’t confuse that with the question of angular momentum of a body about an axis not at the body’s mass centre , since that gets a contribution from the linear motion of the mass.

1. What is a cylinder inside a cylindrical track?

A cylinder inside a cylindrical track is a physical system where a smaller cylinder is placed inside a larger cylinder with the same axis of rotation. The smaller cylinder is free to move and rotate within the track.

2. What is the purpose of a cylinder inside a cylindrical track?

The purpose of this system is to study rotational motion and its effects on the movement of objects. It can also be used to demonstrate the concept of angular momentum and conservation of energy.

3. How does the movement of the smaller cylinder affect the larger cylinder in a cylindrical track?

The movement of the smaller cylinder can cause the larger cylinder to rotate in the same or opposite direction, depending on the initial conditions and forces applied. This is due to the conservation of angular momentum.

4. What factors can affect the movement of the smaller cylinder in a cylindrical track?

The movement of the smaller cylinder can be affected by the mass, shape, and initial velocity of the cylinder, as well as the friction and forces applied to it.

5. What real-world applications can the concept of a cylinder inside a cylindrical track be used for?

This concept can be applied in various fields such as engineering, physics, and robotics. It can be used to design and analyze systems that involve rotational motion, such as gears, flywheels, and gyroscopes.