Fluid flow problem- pressure vs momentum

In summary: and not both tanks... thanks for understanding.thanks for understanding...you can keep level the same by taking a pipe between both of them this will keep yput tanks at same level of water , and you can use another pump for filling process only on one tank and not both tanks...thanks for understanding.
vishal badal
I am having a tank at the bottom of which a pump suction line is connected..

there is another parralel line to that bottom line which is open to atmosphere.

Please note that this second pipe is connected to the bottom pipe; not to the tank...

there is only flow inlet to the tank.

what will happen when the pump will start??

will all the fluid in that parallel line which was initially present will be sucked??

or the tank will compensate that fluid by passing some fluid to maintain the same level as in the tank?

Please suggest...

If interested mail me on [email deleted by moderator]

I will let u know the detail drawing for explanation...

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
vishal badal said:

Please note that this second pipe is connected to the bottom pipe; not to the tank...

will all the fluid in that parallel line which was initially present will be sucked??

or the tank will compensate that fluid by passing some fluid to maintain the same level as in the tank?

Please suggest...

If interested mail me on [email deleted by moderator]

How about providing us with a sketch of your setup.

CS

Last edited by a moderator:
vishal badal said:

Please suggest...

If interested mail me on vish02vishal@yahoo.com

Please find the attachment in the form of a drawing for ready reference..

Attachments

• tank problem.zip
    4 KB · Views: 203
stewartcs said:
How about providing us with a sketch of your setup.

CS

Please find the attachment of a drawing for ready reference...named tank problem...

thanks for the reply...

please do the needful..

Last edited:
vishal badal said:
Please find the attachment of a drawing for ready reference...named tank problem...

thanks for the reply...

please do the needful..

The pump will suck from both tanks until the one not being filled is empty. At the point were the pipes are joined the flowrate will be the same as the pump flowrate. Going further into the the other two lines requires you to consider a parallel flow.

What are you trying to determine exactly.

CS

stewartcs said:
The pump will suck from both tanks until the one not being filled is empty. At the point were the pipes are joined the flowrate will be the same as the pump flowrate. Going further into the the other two lines requires you to consider a parallel flow.

What are you trying to determine exactly.

CS

thanx...

my concern is to keep the level of 2nd tank same as that of that of 1st...

it could have been possible easily if had connected the pipe from 2nd tank to 1st tank directly...rather line its discharge line...

now because i am connecting it to the bottom pipe of 1st; will it make a difference and as per your cocncern; will the 2nd tank become empty?

please find the drawing again...for reference...

vishal badal said:
now because i am connecting it to the bottom pipe of 1st; will it make a difference and as per your cocncern; will the 2nd tank become empty?

Yes it will empty eventually.

CS

well you can keep level the same by taking a pipe between both of them this will keep yput tanks at same level of water , and you can use another pump for filling process only on one tank

1. What is fluid flow and why is it important?

Fluid flow refers to the movement of liquid or gas through a medium. It is important because it is a fundamental aspect of many natural and industrial processes, including weather patterns, blood flow in the body, and the operation of pumps and turbines.

2. What is the difference between pressure and momentum in a fluid flow problem?

Pressure is the force exerted by a fluid on the walls of its container or on an object immersed in it, while momentum is the product of an object's mass and its velocity. In a fluid flow problem, pressure and momentum are related through the equations of motion, and changes in pressure can affect the momentum of the fluid.

3. How do pressure and momentum affect the behavior of a fluid?

Pressure and momentum play crucial roles in determining the behavior of a fluid. Changes in pressure can cause the fluid to flow in a specific direction, while momentum determines the speed and direction of the fluid's movement. Together, they contribute to the overall motion and energy of the fluid.

4. What are some real-world applications of understanding pressure and momentum in fluid flow problems?

Understanding pressure and momentum in fluid flow problems is essential in many fields, including engineering, physics, and meteorology. It is used in designing efficient fluid systems, predicting the impact of natural disasters such as hurricanes, and developing new technologies such as jet engines and wind turbines.

5. How is pressure measured in a fluid flow problem?

Pressure is typically measured using a device called a manometer, which consists of a U-shaped tube filled with a liquid, such as mercury or water. The difference in height between the two sides of the tube corresponds to the pressure difference in the fluid. Other methods, such as pressure transducers and pressure gauges, can also be used to measure pressure in a fluid flow problem.