1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid force on a dam just trying to reason with the problem

1. Dec 5, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A dam is shaped like a right triangle, 4 height and 6 across.

The right triangle is oriented so that the right angle is at the TOP RIGHT. (we are looking at the face of the dam)

Density is a weight density, and is 64 lb/cubic foot

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

OK, to work this out, am I allowed to just flip the dam over? If the pressure increases with depth, it decreases with height, and if I flip it over, it increases with height on the plane.

So I flipped it over.

Now, the area of a rectangular slice of the triangle (which must be horizontal slices so that tiny slices have constant pressure) have an area of delta y X width.

To find the width, I invoked the wrath of similar triangles. Since width is always 3/2 of height, and the height of a "triangle" made from the larger one is given by 4-y (because partitioning a triangle at y=4 would be nothing, while one at y=0 is the whole thing) so the width of the triangle is (3/2)(4-y)delta y

Since I flipped the dam, pressure increases with depth according to p = 64y

And since force = area X pressure,

64y(3/2)(4-y)delta y is the force on any slice of the dam.

Integrating over the full height of the dam, from 0 to 4, should give me total force.

Is

[itex]\int^{4}_{0} 64y(1.3(4-y)) dy[/itex]

The total pressure on the dam? Do I roughly know what I'm doing?

Just seeing if I intuitively grasp it before actually reviewing it for final. Always helps me.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2011 #2
    For some reason the edit button is missing... integral should have 1.5 in it, not 1.3.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook