Fluid mechanics : Barometer - slight confusion

In summary, when a barometer is accelerated upwards, the effective acceleration of the system is increased. This causes the air above the mercury in the trough to press it with higher force, resulting in an increase in pressure at this interface. As a result, the mercury rises in the column to equalize the pressure at the base of the column. The weight of the mercury in the column also increases, but it does not affect the height of the mercury in the column due to the relationship between pressure, density, and acceleration. However, there may be a flaw in reasoning if the atmosphere above the trough is not considered to be static.
ludic
What would happen to the mercury in the column if a barometer is accelerated upwards?

In static condition, acceleration is g.

When the system moves upward with an acceleration a, effective acceleration = g + a.

The air above the mercury in the trough will press it with higher force (i.e the normal reaction force at this interface increases), so the pressure at this interface will be higher than atm. P . To make the pressure at the base of the column equal to this increased pressure, mercury rises in the column.

Am I not right in thinking that on being accelerated upward the mercury would rise in the column?
Please do point out where I am amiss if I am wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are saying that the weight of the air outside the column will increase and that is correct. However, would the weight of the mercury inside the column also not increase?

yes... now i come to think of it, it will... so, will the height of mercury in the column remain same ?

What do you think?

I do think so. ... because:

Mg / A = h(rho)g ---------------- static condition
M(g+a) / A = h'(rho)(g+a) ------------ accelerating condition.

ergo, h' = h

where rho is the density of mercury and M is the mass of the section of atmosphere above the trough of the barometer, and A is the CSA of the trough.

Last edited:
In static condition
[tex]P=\rho gh[/tex]
where
P is atmospheric pressure.

so, am I right ? Will the height remain same ?

Isn't that what you proved in posting #5?

Please once say that it will. I need to cite this thread somewhere... please...

My opinion is that when it is moved up the weight of Hg is increased
[tex]
P=\rho (g+a)h_1
[/tex]

Please be so kind and patient to clarify this doubt:

I understand the part where mercury in column becomes heavier and goes down because of increased effective acceleration

What I don't understand is why - if we call the pressure of atmosphere it's weight upon unit surface area being considered - would the effective weight of atmosphere, and hence its pressure not increase on the barometer trough due to this same increased effective aceleration, and force the mercury in the column back up... effectively keeping the height of mercury in the column same as when the barometer was static.

please tell me what is the flaw in the above reasoning.....

I am thinking that maybe what I reason considers the atmosphere above the trough static, but in actuality, it won't have any increased pressure because the air will shift sideways as the barometer ascends.

What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of fluids (liquids and gases) and their behavior when subjected to various forces, including pressure, temperature, and velocity.

What is a barometer?

A barometer is an instrument used to measure atmospheric pressure. It typically consists of a long glass tube filled with mercury, with one end sealed and the other end open and exposed to the atmosphere. The mercury in the tube rises or falls depending on the air pressure, allowing for the measurement of atmospheric pressure.

How does a barometer work?

A barometer works on the principle of balancing the weight of a column of mercury with the atmospheric pressure. As the atmospheric pressure changes, the level of the mercury in the tube also changes, allowing for the measurement of pressure. The height of the mercury column is directly proportional to the atmospheric pressure.

What is the difference between a mercury and an aneroid barometer?

A mercury barometer uses mercury as the measuring medium, while an aneroid barometer uses a sealed metal chamber that expands or contracts based on changes in air pressure. Aneroid barometers are often smaller and more portable than mercury barometers and do not pose the same health and environmental hazards.

What are some applications of barometers?

Barometers are primarily used for measuring atmospheric pressure, which is important in weather forecasting. They are also used in aviation to measure altitude, in research and industrial settings to monitor pressure changes in experiments and processes, and in home weather stations for personal use.