1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid Mechanics - For engineers and mathematicians?

  1. Apr 2, 2012 #1
    Hi all,

    Sorry if this topic has been done a lot. I'm not very good at searching.
    It seems to me that fluid mechanics is left to engineers and mathematicians (in particular, applied mathematicians? I guess they study the concept of flow?)

    What gives? Engineering department here at Cornell has fluid mechanic courses for different types of engineers (chemical engineers, applied engr physics) but none in physics dept (and I think phys. departments generally don't have fluid mechanics courses), so maybe it's just Cornell, but it seems that it's something that is either pretty applied (--> engrs) or very theoretical approach (very mathematical treatment --> applied mathematicians/mathematicians)


    Edit: If this is the wrong subforum, my apologies as well for that. I wasn't sure where to post this query.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2012 #2


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    It is certainly a branch of physics, but traditionally, "physicists" don't really have much need for fluid mechanics.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook