Fluid mechanics. Plate pulled within viscous fluid.

In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem that involves a stationary plate and the calculation of shear. The person is unsure about part B and is seeking help because the distances used to calculate the shear give different values. They also mention the possibility of the shear not being the same on both sides of the plate.
thepatient

Homework Statement

I have the statement, variables and given/known data in the picture along with relevant equations and solution attempt.

256a2di.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I did the first part right. But I'm unsure about part B. The distance between the plate t is different between the stationary plate above than the distance below the plate to the stationary plate. Computing using the different distances give me a different value. I'm unsure what I'm doing wrong or what assumption is incorrect.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. :]

Physics news on Phys.org
I was thinking maybe the shear isn't the same on both sides of the plate in part b?

What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is the study of how fluids, such as liquids and gases, behave and interact with their surroundings. It involves the study of fluid properties, such as density and viscosity, as well as the principles of fluid motion and how forces act on fluids.

What is the difference between a liquid and a gas?

A liquid has a fixed volume and takes the shape of its container, while a gas has neither a fixed volume nor a fixed shape. Gases are more compressible than liquids and have lower densities.

What is viscosity?

Viscosity is a measure of a fluid's resistance to flow. It is often described as the "thickness" or "stickiness" of a fluid. High viscosity fluids, such as honey, flow slowly, while low viscosity fluids, such as water, flow more easily.

How does a plate pulled within a viscous fluid behave?

When a plate is pulled within a viscous fluid, it experiences a drag force due to the fluid's resistance to flow. This drag force is directly proportional to the fluid's viscosity and the relative velocity between the fluid and the plate.

What is the significance of studying fluid mechanics in real-world applications?

The principles of fluid mechanics are essential in understanding and predicting fluid behavior in various real-world applications, such as in the design of airplanes, cars, and ships. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as meteorology, oceanography, and chemical engineering.