1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid Mechanics question,velocity potential

1. Aug 15, 2007 #1
    I am new in this place, am studying civil engineering in Spain,Madrid, and is something I do not understand in a theoretical exposition of the velocity/force potential.

They suppose that the external force that it acts in each point of the fluid and the speed, derive from scalar , so they admit a potential :

[tex]\frac{\vec{F}}{m}= - \vec{\nabla} U[/tex]

[tex]\vec{V}= \vec{\nabla} \Omega[/tex]

If the acceleration depends on the coordinates of the point and the time [tex]\vec{a} ( u',v',w') = f(x,y,z,t)[/tex] :

[tex]u'= \frac{du}{dt}= \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} \frac{\partial x}{\partial t} +\frac{\partial u}{\partial y } \frac{\partial y}{\partial t} + \frac{\partial u}{\partial z}\frac{\partial z}{\partial t} + \frac{\partial u}{\partial t}[/tex] and thus with the other coordinates of the acceleration

And here my doubt comes, I do not understand as they obtain to this expression:

[tex]u'= \frac{\partial^2 \Omega}{\partial x^2} \frac{\partial \Omega}{\partial x} +\frac{\partial^2 \Omega}{\partial x \partial y} \frac{\partial \Omega}{\partial y} + \frac{\partial^2 \Omega}{\partial x \partial z}\frac{\partial \Omega}{\partial z} + \frac{\partial^2 \Omega}{\partial x \partial t}[/tex]

if somebody can help to understand it me, would be thanked for. Thank you very much

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2007 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

First of all, don't use partials where they don't belong!

Now, we have
    [tex]\frac{dx}{dt}=u,\frac{dy}{dt}=v,\frac{dz}{dt}=w[/tex]
    Thus, we may write the expression for the acceleration in the x-direction, i.e, u' as:
    [tex]u'=u\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{x}}+v\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{y}}+w\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{z}}+\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{t}}[/tex]

Now, insert:
    [tex]u=\frac{\partial\Omega}{\partial{x}},v=\frac{\partial\Omega}{\partial{y}},w=\frac{\partial\Omega}{\partial{z}}[/tex]

See if you get it right now!

4. Aug 15, 2007 #3
    Compound functions always was my nightmare

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t} \left(\frac{\partial \Omega}{\partial x}\right)=\frac{\partial}{\partial x} \left(\frac{\partial \Omega}{\partial x}\right) \underbrace{\frac{dx}{dt}}_{u}+\frac{\partial}{\partial y} \left(\frac{\partial \Omega}{\partial x}\right) \underbrace{\frac{dy}{dt}}_{v} + \frac{\partial}{\partial z} \left(\frac{\partial \Omega}{\partial x}\right) \underbrace{ \frac{dz}{dt}}_{w}+ \frac{\partial}{\partial t} \left(\frac{\partial \Omega}{\partial x}\right) \frac{dt}{dt}[/tex]

that is what it did not see, thank you very much to solve the doubt to me

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?