Mastering Maxwell Relations in Thermodynamics: Derivation & Problem-Solving Tips

In summary: You're supposed to start with the first Maxwell relation and use the other three to solve for the unknown.
BobaJ
I'm studying Thermodynamics and I'm a little stuck at this problem.

1. Homework Statement

Starting with the first Maxwell relation, derive the remaining three by using only the relations:

$$\left(\frac{\partial x}{\partial y}\right) _{z} \left(\frac{\partial y}{\partial z}\right) _{x} \left(\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}\right) _{y} = -1$$

and

$$\left(\frac{\partial x}{\partial y}\right) _{f} \left(\frac{\partial y}{\partial z}\right) _{f} \left(\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}\right) _{f} = 1$$

Homework Equations

The Maxwell relations are:

$$\left(\frac{\partial T}{\partial V}\right) _{S} = - \left(\frac{\partial P}{\partial S}\right) _{V}$$
$$\left(\frac{\partial T}{\partial P}\right) _{S} = \left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial S}\right) _{P}$$
$$\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial V}\right) _{T} = \left(\frac{\partial P}{\partial T}\right) _{V}$$
$$\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial P}\right) _{T} = - \left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial T}\right) _{P}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem is, that I don't understand the second relation they give me to solve the problem. I'm not quite sure what would be f in this relation. I mean, in the book they define it as a function of x, y, and z, but I can't really use it. I don't know where to start. I'm sure that the problem is quite easy, but I need a little push to get started.

Any help would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
BobaJ said:
I'm studying Thermodynamics and I'm a little stuck at this problem.

1. Homework Statement

Starting with the first Maxwell relation, derive the remaining three by using only the relations:

$$\left(\frac{\partial x}{\partial y}\right) _{z} \left(\frac{\partial y}{\partial z}\right) _{x} \left(\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}\right) _{y} = -1$$

and

$$\left(\frac{\partial x}{\partial y}\right) _{f} \left(\frac{\partial y}{\partial z}\right) _{f} \left(\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}\right) _{f} = 1$$

Homework Equations

The Maxwell relations are:

$$\left(\frac{\partial T}{\partial V}\right) _{S} = - \left(\frac{\partial P}{\partial S}\right) _{V}$$
$$\left(\frac{\partial T}{\partial P}\right) _{S} = \left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial S}\right) _{P}$$
$$\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial V}\right) _{T} = \left(\frac{\partial P}{\partial T}\right) _{V}$$
$$\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial P}\right) _{T} = - \left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial T}\right) _{P}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem is, that I don't understand the second relation they give me to solve the problem. I'm not quite sure what would be f in this relation. I mean, in the book they define it as a function of x, y, and z, but I can't really use it. I don't know where to start. I'm sure that the problem is quite easy, but I need a little push to get started.

Any help would be appreciated
You're starting from the wrong relationships. Are you familiar with the equation dU=TdS-PdV?

Yes. I'm familiar with this equation. I know that there are 3 more for the enthalpy, the Helmholtz function and the Gibbs function. But I thought that the Maxwell relations are the four I wrote down and as the problem says to start with the first Maxwell relation I didn't think much about them.

Oh OK. I understand what you are being asked to do now.

1. What are Maxwell relations in thermodynamics?

Maxwell relations are a set of equations that relate the partial derivatives of thermodynamic properties to each other. They are derived from the fundamental equations of thermodynamics and are used to analyze and solve problems in thermodynamics.

2. How are Maxwell relations derived?

Maxwell relations are derived by taking the total differential of the fundamental equations of thermodynamics and manipulating them using mathematical operations such as partial differentiation and integration. The resulting equations are the Maxwell relations.

3. How do Maxwell relations help in problem-solving in thermodynamics?

Maxwell relations help in problem-solving in thermodynamics by providing relationships between different thermodynamic properties, which can be used to solve for unknown values. They also help in simplifying complex equations and reducing the number of variables in a problem.

4. What are some tips for mastering Maxwell relations?

To master Maxwell relations, it is important to have a strong understanding of the fundamental equations of thermodynamics and the concept of partial differentiation. It is also helpful to practice solving problems using Maxwell relations and to familiarize oneself with common thermodynamic properties and their relationships.

5. Can Maxwell relations be used in all thermodynamics problems?

While Maxwell relations are a useful tool in many thermodynamics problems, they may not be applicable in all cases. Some problems may require more specialized equations or methods of analysis. It is important to understand the limitations of Maxwell relations and when they can and cannot be used.