Power Loss Definition in a Damped Wave Equation (Skin Depth Problem}

In summary, the conversation discusses dealing with power loss in E-M waves numerically, using the damped wave equation and assuming a good conductor. The maximum allowable power loss is given to be 60 dB, and the individual attempts to solve the problem are outlined. The correct expression for power loss in dB is found to be 10^{-3} = | \exp \left( - \frac{(1 + j)z}{s} \right) |, and the final solution is determined to be z = s ln (10^3).
Master1022
Homework Statement
Find the maximum depth of a submarine below the surface of the sea which enables it to detect electromagnetic signals launched from the surface? (all the numbers given)
Relevant Equations
Damped Wave Equation
Definition of skin depth
Hi,

So the main question is: How to deal with power loss in E-M waves numerically when we are given power loss in dB's?

The context is that we are dealing with the damped wave equation: [itex] \nabla ^ 2 \vec E = \mu \sigma \frac{\partial \vec E}{\partial t} + \mu \epsilon \frac{\partial ^ 2 \vec E}{\partial t^2} [/itex]. The problem is assuming a good conductor [itex] \left( \sigma >> \omega \epsilon \right) [/itex] and thus we get that the one-dimensional spatial solution is:
[tex] \vec E = \vec E_0 \exp \left( - \frac{(1 + j)z}{s} \right) [/tex] where [itex] s = \sqrt \frac{2}{\omega \sigma \mu} [/itex].

The data is given for all these constants, but am not concerned about that aspect of this problem. We are told that the maximum allowable power loss is 60 dB.

Here is my attempt to start the problem, and I was wondering whether I was starting the problem off correctly?
[tex] -60 dB = 10 \log_{10} \left( \frac{P_{sea}}{P_0} \right) [/tex] However, we know that [itex] P_{EM} \propto | \vec E | ^2 [/itex] and thus we can write that [itex] -60 dB = 20 \log_{10} \left( | \frac{E_{sea}}{E_{o}} | \right) [/itex]. Therefore, we have that [itex] 10^{-3} = | \exp \left( - \frac{(1 + j)z}{s} | \right) [/itex].

This is where I am slightly confused on how to proceed - I am not fully sure how to evaluate this expression. If I just momentarily ignore the absolute value signs, then I get: [itex] \ln \left( 10^{3} \right)s = |1 + j|z [/itex]. I feel as if I have cheated to get to this step. Anyways, that will lead me to the solution: [itex] z = \frac{\ln \left( 10^{3} \right)s}{\sqrt 2} [/itex].

When I substitute the numbers in, then I get the incorrect answer for some reason. I find that I need to have a 2 in the denominator rather than a [itex] \sqrt 2 [/itex]. Is my expression for the power loss in dB correct?

Thanks in advance for the help

Physics news on Phys.org
UPDATE: I realized that I didn't need to the 2 in the denominator to solve this problem and I need to evaluate the modulus of the exponential as follows:
[tex] | \exp \left( - \frac{(1 + j)z}{s} \right) | = | \exp \left( - \frac{z}{s} \right) | | \exp \left( - \frac{zj}{s} \right) | [/tex]
Then the modulus of the complex exponential will be 1, so we can just consider the other exponent.

Therefore, we will get [itex] ln(10^3) = \frac{z}{s} [/itex] and thus that leads to the correct answer [itex] z = s ln (10^3) [/itex]

What is the damped wave equation?

The damped wave equation is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of a wave that loses energy as it propagates through a medium. It takes into account both the damping factor and the wave's frequency to determine the rate at which the wave's amplitude decreases over time.

What is power loss in the damped wave equation?

Power loss in the damped wave equation refers to the amount of energy that is dissipated as the wave travels through a medium. This loss of energy is caused by factors such as friction, resistance, and other dissipative forces.

What is the skin depth problem?

The skin depth problem is a phenomenon that occurs in the damped wave equation when the wave's frequency is high and the medium through which it is traveling has a high electrical conductivity. In this scenario, the wave's amplitude decreases rapidly, and most of its energy is dissipated near the surface of the medium, resulting in a decrease in its penetration depth.

How is skin depth related to power loss?

The skin depth is directly related to power loss in the damped wave equation. As the skin depth decreases, the power loss increases because the wave's energy is concentrated near the surface of the medium. This means that a higher frequency wave will experience a higher power loss compared to a lower frequency wave.

What factors affect power loss in the damped wave equation?

The main factors that affect power loss in the damped wave equation are the wave's frequency, the medium's electrical conductivity, and the damping factor. Additionally, the geometry and size of the medium can also influence power loss, as well as any external factors such as temperature or magnetic fields.