• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Fluid mechanics (shape of free surface)

Homework Statement

A tube of radius 'R' and height 'H' (placed vertically), is filled with a fluid till a height 'h' (<H). Now it is rotated with an angular velocity 'w' about the central axis. Prove that the shape of the free surface is parabolic.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The proof of this equation is simple, and i have derived it. Now along with this question a statement was mentioned, which i aint able to prove.

Is is said that the initial height of the fluid is the arithmetic mean of the maximum height (i.e the height of the fluid at the end of the tube) and the minimum height (i.e the height of the fluid at the center). I have tried, but failed to prove it. Is the proposition valid?
If yes, I would be grateful if someone could give me some hint as to how i prove it!!

Answers and Replies

fzero
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
You will probably want to draw the radial cross-section with the parabola and the original water level crossing it. The volume of water above the original water level at the edges should equal the volume "missing" below it in the center.

exactly, but how do i do it?
That's what i am asking, How will i calculate the volume of water above and below the original level?

well you integrate your equation for the shape of the free surface from +R/2 to -R/2 and it should give 0 if you have placed the origin of the graph at (R/2,h) in the cylinder frame