Fluid statics seems easy but can't figure it out .

In summary, when a cylindrical tank of internal diameter 1.5m and length 2.0m is filled with water, the combined weight is 55 kN. Using the density of water and the volume of the tank, the mass of water can be calculated. The total mass of the tank and water can be found by subtracting the mass of water from the given total weight. The mass of the empty tank can then be found by subtracting the mass of water and tank from the total mass of the tank and water. This mass can then be converted to weight to find the weight of the tank alone.
gikwiye

Homework Statement

A cylindrical tank of internal diameter 1.5m and length 2.0m is mounted on a trailer. When the tank is filled with water the combined weight is 55 kN. Find the weight of tank plus trailer with the tank full of methyl alcohol (relative density 0.789).

Homework Equations

density*volume=mass
pi*r²*length= volume of cylindre

The Attempt at a Solution

total volume of methyl in tank= 3.53 m³
using density of methyl (789 kg/m³)
mass of methyl in tank= 2788.55 kg
however, I don't see how this is going to help finding the mass of water in the tank filled with water or the mass of the tank. Basically, if I don't find the volume of water in the tank filled but not fully with water I cannot find the mass of that water. Therefore, I cannot find the mass of the tank and trailer.
if anybody could help that would be nice.
thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
gikwiye said:
total volume of methyl in tank= 14.13 m³
How did you calculate that volume? (Is 1.5 m the radius or the diameter?)

however, I don't see how this is going to help finding the mass of water in the tank filled with water or the mass of the tank.
You can find the mass of the water just like you can find the mass of the methyl alcohol. You are given the total weight, so what's the total mass of truck plus water?

Doc Al said:
How did you calculate that volume? (Is 1.5 m the radius or the diameter?)

sorry made a mistake on that one.

You can find the mass of the water just like you can find the mass of the methyl alcohol. You are given the total weight, so what's the total mass of truck plus water?

no because the tank is not fully filled with water unless I know the volume I can't find it

tried it with the corrected value of r it still doesn't work ( forgot to tell the answer should be around 47.7kN

gikwiye said:
tried it with the corrected value of r it still doesn't work ( forgot to tell the answer should be around 47.7kN
Answer these questions:

What's the volume of the tank?

What's the mass of the water?

What's the total mass of the truck + water?

What's the mass of the truck alone (empty tank)?

What's the mass of the alcohol?

Doc Al said:
Answer these questions:

What's the volume of the tank?

What's the mass of the water?

What's the total mass of the truck + water?

What's the mass of the truck alone (empty tank)?

What's the mass of the alcohol?

1. 0.75²*pi*2=3.53m³
2.mass of water:( 55kN-weight of tank)/9.81
3. total mass of truck+water=55kN/9.81=5606.52 Kg
4.mass of empty tank= 5606.52 Kg-mass of water
5.mass of alcohol= 2785.17 Kg( in a tank full of alcohol)

note 2 and 3 are the same equations which leads to 0=0.
Moreover, I don't really see the point of the alcohol in this problem. In fact if we have a tank entirely filled with alcohol how is it related to the not entirely water filled tank?

gikwiye said:
1. 0.75²*pi*2=3.53m³
OK.
2.mass of water:( 55kN-weight of tank)/9.81
Figure it out using density X volume. What's the density of water?
3. total mass of truck+water=55kN/9.81=5606.52 Kg
OK.
4.mass of empty tank= 5606.52 Kg-mass of water
No. That's the total mass of truck + water. (See #3.) You'll need to combine the correct answer to #2 with #3 to solve for the mass of the empty truck.
5.mass of alcohol= 2785.17 Kg( in a tank full of alcohol)
Good. (Figure out the answer to #2 in the same way.)

Doc Al said:
OK.

Figure it out using density X volume. What's the density of water?

OK.

No. That's the total mass of truck + water. (See #3.) You'll need to combine the correct answer to #2 with #3 to solve for the mass of the empty truck.

Good. (Figure out the answer to #2 in the same way.)

ok here is what I did but did not get the right answer.

mass of water = density of water x volume of water in the tank= 1000(kg/m³)*3.53(m³)
=3530 kg note : I did this as if the tank was fully filled with water but it is not.
mass of tank= total mass ( tank + water) minus mass of water. you have then 5606.52kg-3530kg=2076.52kg for the mass of the tank.
In Newtons, you have 20.370 kN.
the answer should be 47.7 kN

gikwiye said:
ok here is what I did but did not get the right answer.

mass of water = density of water x volume of water in the tank= 1000(kg/m³)*3.53(m³)
=3530 kg note : I did this as if the tank was fully filled with water but it is not.

Yes, the question says "when the tank is filled with water" so you now have the correct mass of water.

gikwiye said:
mass of tank= total mass ( tank + water) minus mass of water. you have then 5606.52kg-3530kg=2076.52kg for the mass of the tank.

This is also correct, now you have the mass of an empty container, but what does the question ask for?

gikwiye said:

This is the correct weight of the container, but read my last statement.

Cilabitaon said:
Yes, the question says "when the tank is filled with water" so you now have the correct mass of water.

This is also correct, now you have the mass of an empty container, but what does the question ask for?

This is the correct weight of the container, but read my last statement.

yeah the question says filled not "fully" filled and the question asks for the weight of the container. However, in this exercice I should find 47.7 kN for it's weight.

gikwiye said:
When the tank is filled with water the combined weight is 55 kN.

fill - occupy: occupy the whole of; "The liquid fills the container"

So when a question says 'filled you can assume it means to the containers capacity; after all I used this and got the correct answer(according to you).

gikwiye said:
Find the weight of tank plus trailer with the tank full of methyl alcohol (relative density 0.789).

So you have to do a bit of extra working; otherwise what would be the use of even mentioning the methanol at all?

gikwiye said:
=3530 kg
Good.
note : I did this as if the tank was fully filled with water but it is not.
Sure it's full. You are told as much.
Excellent.
the answer should be 47.7 kN
You forgot to add the mass of the methyl alcohol.

gikwiye said:
yeah the question says filled not "fully" filled and the question asks for the weight of the container. However, in this exercice I should find 47.7 kN for it's weight.

thank you very much for your help I got it now. It is the way I read the question that was wrong. I'll try to be more focused next time. thanks again

gikwiye said:
thank you very much for your help I got it now. It is the way I read the question that was wrong. I'll try to be more focused next time. thanks again

Finally :tongue:

Glad we could help.

1. What is fluid statics?

Fluid statics is a branch of fluid mechanics that deals with fluids at rest. It focuses on the behavior of fluids when they are not in motion and the forces that act on them.

2. Why is fluid statics important?

Fluid statics is important because it helps us understand the behavior of fluids in various situations, such as in containers or when they are subjected to external forces. It also has practical applications in engineering, such as in designing structures that can withstand fluid pressures.

3. How is pressure related to fluid statics?

Pressure is a key concept in fluid statics. It is defined as the force per unit area that is exerted by a fluid on its surroundings. In fluid statics, pressure is used to calculate the forces that act on a fluid and its container.

4. What are some common applications of fluid statics?

Some common applications of fluid statics include designing and analyzing dams, ships, and pipelines. It is also used in industries such as oil and gas, where understanding fluid pressures is crucial for safe and efficient operations.

5. What are some tips for understanding fluid statics?

To better understand fluid statics, it is important to have a strong understanding of basic fluid mechanics concepts such as pressure, density, and buoyancy. It is also helpful to practice solving problems and visualizing the behavior of fluids in different scenarios. Seeking guidance from a teacher or tutor can also be beneficial.