1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluids Question Regarding Density

1. Nov 15, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A spherically shaped balloon has a radius of 11.5 m, and is filled with helium. How large a cargo can it lift, assuming that the skin and structure of the balloon have a mass of 1200 kg?
    Neglect the bouyant force on the cargo volume itself.

2. Relevant equations
    Fb = (Mhe+800kg)g

3. The attempt at a solution
    I used the above equation to determine the buoyant force acting on the balloon but didn't seem to work. I tried some other methods but i cant get how much it can lift. Need some explanation thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2009 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

What's the equation for the buoyant force on ANY object in ANY fluid? After getting that, draw a free-body diagram on the balloon and note that buoyancy must balance gravity if the balloon is to lift the heaviest possible load.

4. Nov 16, 2009 #3
    still cant get it...seems like a easy question too.. i am setting Fb = 1200+m+g. I got force buoyant to be density of air (1.29 kg/m3) * Gravity * Volume. Which looks like 1.29*9.8*3583.477 = 1200+m+g. m is the mass of the cargo which i am solving for. i keep getting the mass of the cargo to be 3422.68 which is wrong. any ideas of where i'm messing up?

5. Nov 16, 2009 #4

ideasrule

Homework Helper

where did you get Fb=1200+m+g? It doesn't make sense because m has units of kg, while g has units of m/s^2.

Anyhow, draw a free-body diagram. Label all forces. Then write out Newton's second law. Don't take any shortcuts until you get more familiar with physics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook