Flux Density (Jy) to Luminosity when wavelength is involved

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of finding the luminosity of a forbidden line in flux density versus wavelength plots. The individual has attempted to handle the frequency unit by multiplying the integral flux density by a correction value, but the units do not work out. The expert suggests using a factor of 10^-26 and provides a possible explanation for the error. The individual thanks the expert for their help and confirms that the issue has been resolved.
Aiveenoka
Hi,
I think my problem may be a little trivial however I have been stuck on it for quite some time. I have plots of flux density (Jy) versus wavelength in order to look at a particular forbidden line. I want to find the luminosity of the line, however as I am dealing with Jy [W/(m^2 Hz)] I do not know how to deal with the frequency unit.

I am using the luminosity formula 4*pi*R^2*integral_flux_density. I am only looking at the main bit of the spectrum which I circle in the attached image.

I attempted to handle the Hz by multiplying my integral_flux_density by a correction value (s*λ^2)/c where s is the sampling value (the wavelength difference divided by the number of values) and c the speed of light. However the units do not work out.
I came up with my correction value based on:
Janksy unit = W m^-2 Hz^-1 (ignoring the 10^-26)
This is the same as dF/dv where v is nu the frequency symbol

I need dF/dv to go to dF/dλ

v=c/λ -> dv = - (c/λ^2) *dL

dF/dλ = dF/dv * dv/dλ

dF/dλ = - dF/dv * c/λ^2

dF/d\nu = -dF/dλ * (λ^2)/c

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
A :)

Attachments

• Aiveenoka_spectrum.png
    Aiveenoka_spectrum.png
    10.2 KB · Views: 676
Astronomy news on Phys.org
That looks fine.

For each sampling between λ and Δλ, you have a frequency range between c/λ and c/(λ+Δλ) ≈ c/λ (1-Δλ/λ) which corresponds to a spectral width of cΔλ/λ^2. This has a unit of Hz, you can multipliy it with Jy to get W/m^2 for that sampling point, and sum over all points.

Thank you for your response, mfb. Your reply makes sense to me.
I realized I'd been implementing the correction factor wrongly. However I still cannot achieve reasonable answers. For this source (T Tau) I know that M-dot must be (or at least close to) 1E-6 and I am presently obtaining many values, but the one with the most accurate calculation is 10^20...

I attach the spreadsheet of this work to see if anything can be spotted. The green flux densities correspond to the circled area in my previous attachment of the image of my spectra.

A :)

I don't see an attachment.

Janksy unit = W m^-2 Hz^-1 (ignoring the 10^-26)
Maybe there is your factor of 10^26?

I think you are right! I had tried that before but in vain, however like I said I had been implementing the correction factor wrong. I shall try again right now and let you know and if needs be I'll actually attach the document this time, sorry about that.
Thank you,
A

It works! You're brilliant :) Thank you!

1. What is flux density and how is it related to luminosity?

Flux density is a measure of the amount of energy per unit area per unit time received from a celestial object. It is related to luminosity through the inverse square law, which states that the luminosity of an object decreases with the square of the distance from the observer.

2. How is flux density measured in terms of Jy (Jansky)?

Flux density is typically measured in Jy (Jansky), which is equal to 10^-26 watts per square meter per hertz. This unit is used because it is easier to work with when dealing with large ranges of flux density values.

3. What is the significance of wavelength in the conversion from flux density to luminosity?

Wavelength is a crucial factor in the conversion from flux density to luminosity because it affects the amount of energy per unit area per unit time received from a celestial object. Objects emitting at shorter wavelengths (e.g. X-rays) will have higher flux densities and therefore higher luminosities compared to those emitting at longer wavelengths (e.g. radio waves).

4. How is the conversion from flux density to luminosity affected by the distance to the object?

The conversion from flux density to luminosity is affected by the distance to the object through the inverse square law. As the distance to the object increases, the flux density decreases, resulting in a lower luminosity. This is because the same amount of energy is spread out over a larger area as the distance increases.

5. Can flux density and luminosity be used to determine the size or brightness of an object?

Flux density and luminosity can provide information about the size and brightness of an object, but they are not the only factors to consider. Other factors such as the temperature, composition, and distance of the object must also be taken into account when determining the size and brightness of an object.