1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Getting Planck's Law in terms of frequency from wavelength

1. Mar 21, 2015 #1
    Show that Planck's law expressed in terms of the frequency f is:
    u(f) = (8πf2/c3)(hf/(ehf/kT - 1))

from the equation:

u(λ) = (8πhcλ-5)/(ehc/λkT - 1)

When I do this algebraically by simply plugging in λ = c/f, I get:

u(f) = (8πhc-4)/(f-5(ehf/kT - 1)

which clearly doesn't involve the correct powers of c and f.

This is the same thing I get when going back and putting n(λ) = 8πλ^-4 in terms of the frequency and multiplying it by the average energy E bar = hf/(ehf/kT - 1) to get u(f).

Going through all of these equations is confusing and I am having trouble putting it all together, but I figure that the problem is I need to go back and differentiate somewhere, since n(λ) is found from n(λ)dλ which involves the range between λ and λ+dλ, but it hasn't been converted to the range between f and f+df. I don't know how I would go about doing any of this...please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2015 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Planck's law is a distribution function, so you can simply start by considering ##u(\lambda) d\lambda## (radiance per unit wavelength times unit wavelength), which you can easily convert to ##u(f) df##, for which you get ##u(f)##.

4. Mar 21, 2015 #3
    You would have to put dλ in terms of df then right? If λ = c/f, then dλ = -c/f2 df?

So I already found u(f) correctly (I think), so multiplying my equation for u(f) by df would get:

u(f)df = (8πhc-4)/(f-5(ehf/kT - 1) (-c/f2 df)

Dropping the df to get u(f) and simplifying:

u(f) = (-8πhc-3)/(f-3(ehf/kT - 1) = (-8πhf3/c3)(ehf/kT - 1)

Alright that is exactly the answer I need, except that my answer is negative because of the negative derivative. I'm not sure how to resolve that.

5. Mar 21, 2015 #4

DrClaude

If you integrate from wavelength ##\lambda_1## to ##\lambda_2##, with ##\lambda_2 > \lambda_1##, when happens when you convert that to frequency?

6. Mar 21, 2015 #5
    You'll integrate from f1 to f2 with f1>f2?

7. Mar 21, 2015 #6

DrClaude

Yes, and considering that normally you want to integrate from low frequency to high frequency, what do you need to change?

8. Mar 21, 2015 #7
    Ah, I understand. So could I indicate this by writing that:

λ21 and f1>f2 thus when ∫u(λ)dλ → ∫u(f)df

f2f1 u(f)df = -∫f1f2 u(f)df

Thus u(f) = (-8πhf3/c3)(ehf/kT - 1) taken from f1 to f2 =
    u(f) = (8πhf3/c3)(ehf/kT - 1) taken from f2 to f1

Or maybe a simpler way?

9. Mar 22, 2015 #8

DrClaude

I don't think there is a simpler way to demonstrate it.

10. Mar 22, 2015 #9
    Thanks for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted