How to Calculate Flux through a Square Plate at an Inclined Angle

In summary, the flux through a square plate inclined at an angle of 30 degrees to a field of strength 100 N/C is 86.6 Nm^2/C, calculated using the formula Flux = E*A*cos(degrees). It is important to use degrees, not radians, when inputting the angle into the calculator. For angles of 30 degrees and 45 degrees, the values for sin and cos can be easily determined by using Pythagoras' theorem.
marisa29

Homework Statement

The flux through a square plate, area 1 m^2, inclined at at an angle of 30 degrees to a field of strength of 100 N/C is

------\------->
-------\------->
--------\------->
---------\------->

Homework Equations

Flux=EACos(degree)

The Attempt at a Solution

= (100 N/C) (1m^2) Cos (60)
95 Nm^2/C (not one of the options)

Physics news on Phys.org
Cos 30 = .866

LowlyPion said:
Cos 30 = .866

LowlyPion said:
Cos 30 = .866

O.k so i wouldn't do the angle perpendicular? So i put in cos (30)

30 \
--------\---------->
---------\---------->
----------\---------->
-----------\---------->

sorry don't know if the 30 degrees being there matters. When i put in the cos (30) i didn't get that ( does my calculator need to be in degrees ? ) O.k Thanx for any help. Also once i put the 100 N/C * 1m^2* Cos(30) i get 86.6 which is one of the options . Thank you

Degrees, not radians.

You can always figure the correct values for 30 degrees and 45.

A 45 degree angle means the sides are equal and hence sin or cos by Pythagoras of 45 is √2/2

For 30 degrees, sin 30 is 1/2 (the side opposite is 1/2 the hypotenuse) and hence the cos 30 must be √3/2.

What is flux through a square?

Flux through a square is a measurement of the amount of fluid or energy passing through a unit area of a square. It is used in various fields of science, such as physics and engineering, to understand the flow of fluids or energy in a given system.

How is flux through a square calculated?

The calculation of flux through a square involves multiplying the magnitude of the fluid or energy passing through the square by the area of the square. This can be represented mathematically as Φ = F · A, where Φ is the flux, F is the fluid or energy, and A is the area of the square.

What are the units of flux through a square?

The units of flux through a square depend on the type of fluid or energy being measured. For example, if the flux is for fluid flow, the units would be volume per unit time per unit area (e.g. m^3/s/m^2). If the flux is for energy, the units would be power per unit area (e.g. watts/m^2).

What does a negative flux through a square indicate?

A negative flux through a square indicates that the fluid or energy is flowing in the opposite direction of the defined positive direction. This could be due to a change in the direction of the flow or a different orientation of the square.

How is flux through a square used in real-world applications?

Flux through a square is used in various real-world applications, such as calculating the flow of fluids in pipes, determining the amount of energy received by solar panels, and studying the movement of air in meteorology. It is a valuable tool for understanding and analyzing the behavior of fluids and energy in different systems.