1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Flux Through a Square Loop

1. Mar 4, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A loop of wire in the form of a square 1.50 m on each side, its plane makes an angle of 40.0° with a uniform magnetic field of 0.95 T. What is the magnetic flux through the loop?

2. Relevant equations
    Φ = BAcosθ
    A = s^2
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I found the area of the square using A = s^2 which returns 2.25m. Then I just plugged in the values provided in the question making sure to use 40°. I got Φ = 1.64Wb but the answer is 1.37Wb

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2017 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In the formula Φ = BAcosθ, can you describe in words the meaning of the angle θ? What particular angle does it represent?

The angle of 40.0° given in the statement of the problem might not be the angle represented by θ in the formula.

4. Mar 4, 2017 #3
    The angle in the formula is the angle the loop makes with respect to the magnetic field. If the angle was 90 the the magnetic flux would be zero because no magnetic field lines would pass through the loop.

5. Mar 4, 2017 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

θ is not the angle that the plane of the loop makes to the magnetic field.

The picture below shows the case where the plane of the loop makes a 90o angle to the B field.
    upload_2017-3-4_17-30-52.png
    Would you say that the flux through the loop is zero here?

6. Mar 4, 2017 #5
    No the flux through the loop is not zero. I guess it's the angle made between the normal of the loop and the magnetic field?

7. Mar 4, 2017 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, θ in the formula is the angle between the normal of the loop and the magnetic field.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted