Flyback Diode Implementation/Sizing w/ Relays/Switches

• Thread starter ¡MR.AWESOME!
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diode
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of diodes in a car circuit, specifically when to use them and what type to use. The speaker is designing a circuit and is unsure about the proper sizing of the diodes and asks for advice. The conversation also touches on the concept of "fly back" current and the importance of choosing a diode with the appropriate peak nonrepetative current rating and energy absorption capability. The speaker is advised to use a jellybean medium power diode such as the 1N4002 for the starter solenoid, but the exact sizing is uncertain and may require further consideration based on the specific parameters of the circuit.
¡MR.AWESOME!
I searched but had no luck. Sorry if this kind of thing has been answered a bunch.

I'm designing a circuit for my car. If you want to know more just ask and I will explain. I want to know when I need to use diodes to protect stuff. I have attached a wiring diagram.

I know I need diodes D1 and D2 because those relays are being switched by a computer.

Latching and Latching2 are single coil latching relays with a coil rating of 25mA 12VDC.

Do I need D3 and D4? Those relays are activated by a physical switch with a rating of 5 amps but will only have 150mA going through. K1 and K2's coils are rated at 150mA 12VDC.

Do I need another diode between the contacts of relay K2? Because of the starter solenoid?

And now on to sizing. I have no idea where to start. I read Schottky diodes are what I want because of the whole .2V thing instead of .7V. I started to look on digikey, but realized I was in over my head. I pretty much just learned about diodes and relays within the last few days, so there is still much to learn. If you could give me some rules to follow (if there are any) when selecting diodes in case my specs change, that'd be great.

These are the specs I know.
Latching/Latching2 = Coil - 25mA 12VDC. Contact 10A 250VAC (won't see more than 150mA 12VDC)

K1/K2 = Coil - 150mA 12VDC. Contact - 70A 12VDC (won't see more than 40A)

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Pushbutton CircuitE.JPG
    Pushbutton CircuitE.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 953
Engineering news on Phys.org
It's good hygene to put the catch diodes across coils that can kick back when switches or transistors are opened. Just use a jellybean medium power diode (Schottky definitely not needed), like the 1N4002:

http://www.fairchildsemi.com/pf/1N/1N4002.html

Alright, cool. Thanks. Can I use the 1N4002 to go across the solenoid contacts as well, or would that not be able to handle the current? The solenoid draws somewhere between 20 and 40 amps. How do I know how many amps and volts I need a diode to be rated at for a certain application? Thanks, again.

You know, 'fly back' current is a misnomer. It's really fly forward current. Once the current is flowing around an inductor, it will tend to maintain in the same direction. The mechanical equivalent of an inductor is a flywheel. And 'kick back' should be called 'kick forward'.

Now you're just trying to confuse me. I do understand it, though. Any input as to what diode I need for the starter solenoid?

Sorry, your schematic doesn't display well for me. I have no idea what's on the contact side of your relays, which would determine if you needed anything across the contacts.

It's a relay who's coil is connected to 12v and a momentary switch. The contacts close the positive line to a solenoid on the starter motor of the car. From what Berkeman said, I do need a diode across the solenoids terminals, but I don't know how large. The solenoid will draw between 20 and 40 amps at 12VDC. I assume a 1N4002 would not suffice.

Last edited:
A 1N4002 does seem a little small. For something like this, there's no clear answer. There are two parameters you want to meet. Your peak nonrepetative current is about 12*40 amperes. The diode has to absorb the stored energy in the inductance.

Manufactures will rate max. peak nonrepetative current over a half cycle of the AC line, so about 8.3 msec. If we assume a forward voltage drop of 1.2 volts for 8.3 msec, and a 60 amp. peak nonrepetative forward current, the part can handle 0.6 Joules of energy in one pulse, though shorter pulses require increased rating.

Last edited:

1. What is a flyback diode and why is it important in relay/switch circuits?

A flyback diode, also known as a snubber diode or freewheeling diode, is a type of diode that is placed in parallel with an inductive load, such as a relay or switch. Its purpose is to protect the circuit from voltage spikes that occur when the inductive load is turned off, which can damage other components. The diode allows the current to continue to flow in a loop, preventing the voltage spike from occurring and protecting the circuit.

2. How do I determine the appropriate size or rating of a flyback diode for my circuit?

The size or rating of a flyback diode is determined by the maximum current and voltage that will be present in the circuit. The diode should have a current rating higher than the maximum current of the circuit and a voltage rating at least equal to the supply voltage. It is also important to consider the reverse recovery time of the diode, as a longer recovery time can lead to slower switching speeds.

3. Can I use any type of diode as a flyback diode in my circuit?

No, not all diodes are suitable for use as flyback diodes. It is important to use a fast-recovery diode or a Schottky diode, as these types of diodes have a shorter reverse recovery time and are better suited for use in high-speed switching circuits.

4. Do I need to use a flyback diode for every relay or switch in my circuit?

In general, a flyback diode should be used for every inductive load in a circuit, including relays and switches. However, if the relays or switches are low power and have a low voltage rating, a flyback diode may not be necessary.

5. Are there any other considerations I should keep in mind when implementing a flyback diode in my circuit?

Aside from selecting the appropriate size and type of diode, it is also important to properly place the diode in parallel with the inductive load. The anode of the diode should be connected to the positive side of the load, and the cathode should be connected to the negative side. Additionally, the leads of the diode should be kept as short as possible to minimize stray inductance, which can affect the performance of the circuit.