Foam rubber ball hanging in a string - Forces

In summary: Just make sure to clarify that it is creating an air flow. In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving the drag of a foam rubber ball, its mass, and an air flow created by a reversed vacuum cleaner. The task is to draw an illustration of the forces affecting the ball and find the speed of the air when it passes the ball. The equation for drag is given and the correct forces are determined to be the gravitational force, wind force, and string force. The solution involves adding these forces as vectors and converting the mass from grams to kilograms. The speaker also clarifies that the "reverse vacuum cleaner" is essentially a fan.
Norway

Homework Statement

Okay, so I'm not originally an English speaker, so this may be silly reading for some of you, especially a lot of the words here, which isn't to find in the dictionaries either, but hopefully you'll at least get a picture of the task and help me solve it.

The drag (air resistance) of a ball made of foam rubber, is:
[tex]L = (8,7 \cdot 10^{-4} Ns^2 / m^2)v^2[/tex]
The ball has a mass of 8,0 g.

We attach the ball to a piece of string hanging from the ceiling, and in front of a reversed vacuum cleaner. LOL. I have no idea what to call that machine in English, but it creates an air flow the affects the ball when it's hanging there in midair.

The air flow makes the ball move to the side, so that the string makes an angle of 38 degrees compared to straight down.

Draw an illustration showing the forces affecting the ball. Find the speed of the air when it passes the ball.

Homework Equations

I mentioned the only equation earlier, I think.

The Attempt at a Solution

No idea how to start. As for the drawing, I've written the gravitational force G straight down, the wind force V directly right and the string force parallel to the string, going from the ball. Is that correct? Anything else?

Thanks a lot.

Edit: I guess I could have called that "machine" a fan, and made it easy for myself. Lol.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have drawn the forces correctly. Now all you have to do is add them as vectors and say that their sum is zero. Don't forget to convert the mass from grams to kilograms.

** Edit **

A "reverse vacuum cleaner" is perfectly understandable.

Last edited:

I would like to provide the following response:

Firstly, it is important to understand the concept of forces and how they act on objects. In this case, we have three main forces acting on the foam rubber ball: the gravitational force (G), the wind force (V), and the string force (T). The gravitational force is always directed downwards towards the center of the earth, while the wind force and string force can vary in direction depending on the conditions.

In order to understand the motion of the ball, we must consider the net force acting on it. This can be calculated using the formula F=ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration. In this case, the acceleration is caused by the wind force, as it is the only force acting on the ball in the horizontal direction.

Next, we can use the given equation for drag (air resistance) to calculate the wind force. This equation takes into account the velocity of the ball, which we can find using trigonometry and the angle of the string. Once we have the wind force, we can plug it into the F=ma equation to find the acceleration of the ball.

Finally, to find the speed of the air passing the ball, we can use the equation for drag again, but this time solving for the velocity (v). By rearranging the equation and plugging in the values for the drag coefficient, mass of the ball, and acceleration, we can find the speed of the air.

As for the drawing, you have correctly identified the three main forces acting on the ball. However, it is important to also consider the direction of these forces and how they balance each other out to determine the motion of the ball. I would recommend drawing a free body diagram to better visualize the forces and their directions.

I hope this helps in solving the problem and understanding the concept of forces. As always, it is important to carefully consider all given information and equations, and to double check calculations for accuracy.

1. What is the purpose of the foam rubber ball hanging in a string experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to demonstrate the forces acting on an object suspended by a string, specifically the tension force and the force of gravity. By observing the behavior of the ball, we can better understand these forces and their effects on the object.

2. How does the length of the string affect the movement of the foam rubber ball?

The length of the string affects the movement of the ball because it determines the amount of tension force acting on the ball. A shorter string will have a higher tension force, causing the ball to move faster and with a smaller arc. A longer string will have a lower tension force, resulting in slower movement and a wider arc.

3. Why does the foam rubber ball move in a circular motion instead of a straight line?

The ball moves in a circular motion due to the combination of the tension force and the force of gravity. The tension force acts as a centripetal force, pulling the ball towards the center of the circle, while gravity pulls the ball downwards. This results in a circular path of motion.

4. How does the weight of the foam rubber ball affect the forces acting on it?

The weight of the ball affects the force of gravity acting on it. A heavier ball will experience a greater force of gravity, resulting in a stronger pull towards the ground. This will affect the tension force and the ball's movement accordingly.

5. What other factors can affect the movement of the foam rubber ball?

Other factors that can affect the movement of the ball include air resistance, the angle at which the string is held, and the material and thickness of the string. These factors can alter the balance of forces and impact the ball's trajectory and speed.