Folk belief about preventing lightning damage

In summary, according to this region's folklore, it is best to unplug all appliances, but to leave one plugged in in case of a lightning strike. But this is only a precaution, as even if an appliance is not turned on, it is safe.
micromass
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
In my region, there is some kind of folk belief about lightning. I personally think it is nonsense, but I'm asking to make sure it sure is nonsense. After all, I can't pretend to know much about electricity.

Anyway, it is said that when there is a thunder storm near your house, then it is best to unplug all the appliances, but leaving at least one plugged in. The idea would somehow be that when the lightning strikes, then by leaving one appliance plugged in, the lightning "will have somewhere to go" so it won't cause damage outside this one appliance.

So, am I right in thinking that this is nonsense?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sounds like the rumor was started by an appliance manufacturer... :smile:

Likes micromass
I think this is a folk belief. I never heard of it in the US and my mother was always keen to tell us these things like don't shower or take a bath or use the phone during a storm. Also don't watch tv or use a radio as it would "attract the lightning" which I found hard to believe.

However, I do remember a story where a teenager mowing the lawn was saved from a lightning strike by his ipod. The current went thru the wires sparing his body. He wound up with burns on his skin where the wires touched and his sneakers were blown off and he didn't remember how he got into the house afterwards.

So it makes sense from that standpoint to leave one thing still plugged in but since you have lamps and appliances plugged in that should cover that contingency.

micromass said:
, then it is best to unplug all the appliances, but leaving at least one plugged in.
But what if that appliance is not turned on?

jedishrfu said:
my mother was always keen to tell us these things like don't shower or take a bath or use the phone during a storm.

Right, those beliefs exist here too. What about them? Is there any truth to those?

The only thing that would be true, would be if you had a very robust product plugged into an outlet, and it was turned on. Then its surge protection circuit would provide clamping for differential and common-mode surges (as tested by EN 61000-4-5), which would protect other devices plugged into the powerline nearby. But just any old appliance will not likely have such robust protection inside...

Yes see my previous post. It has to do with lightning traveling the shortest path to ground.

NOVA had an episode on lightning some years ago. Some folks were putting golf balls off a cliff. They were on a platform in a circle and the current shooter got hit just as he raised his golf club. He and all the surrounding golfers were knocked out flat because the lightning strike spread out seeking out the golf club metal.

micromass said:
Thank you, that is very helpful. But how reliable is that information?

Its pretty reliable and consistent with what I saw on the NOVA show (not the one I just posted).

One good piece of advice is if you hear the thunder go seek shelter as lightning strikes can travel 10 miles to ground out. There was another story of a cyclist who stopped for a moment by the roadside and was struck by a bolt of lightning from a storm on the other side of the mountain roughly 10 miles away. He survived ut died several months later due to complications from the strike.

Here's the teenager story from Ars Technica:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2006/07/4551/

and here's some more on lightning from a NOVA FAQ:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/earth/dwyer-lightning.html

micromass said:
In my region, there is some kind of folk belief about lightning. I personally think it is nonsense, but I'm asking to make sure it sure is nonsense. After all, I can't pretend to know much about electricity.

Anyway, it is said that when there is a thunder storm near your house, then it is best to unplug all the appliances, but leaving at least one plugged in. The idea would somehow be that when the lightning strikes, then by leaving one appliance plugged in, the lightning "will have somewhere to go" so it won't cause damage outside this one appliance.

So, am I right in thinking that this is nonsense?

I don't know about you, but I don't want any lightning going thru my house, via a plugged in appliance or what.

I read a story one time in the local newspaper about a family who wrapped a string of Christmas lights around an oak tree located next to their house. The lights were plugged into a household socket inside. Just before Christmas that year, a thunderstorm produced a bolt of lightning, which struck the top of the oak tree in this family's yard. The electricity from the lightning shot down the trunk of the tree until it reached the Christmas lights, then traveled along the light cord back into the home, into the socket, and finally reached ground from there, but not before blowing chunks out of the interior of the home where it traveled. Fortunately, no fire was started, but the home did need some repairs. I believe this family no longer puts lights around their trees.

A similar but more indirect story was a family who lost power during an electrical storm that happened around dinner time. They decided to go out to dinner at a local restaurant since they had no power for cooking and when they returned found their house on fire.

They forgot to turn off the stove before they left.

What is the origin of folk beliefs about preventing lightning damage?

Folk beliefs about preventing lightning damage have been around for centuries and are rooted in ancient superstitions and cultural traditions. These beliefs have been passed down through generations and vary among different cultures and regions.

What are some common methods believed to prevent lightning damage?

Some common methods believed to prevent lightning damage include ringing bells or banging pots and pans, carrying metal objects, building lightning rods or crosses, and planting certain trees or herbs.

Do these folk beliefs about preventing lightning damage actually work?

There is no scientific evidence to support the effectiveness of these folk beliefs in preventing lightning damage. Lightning is a powerful natural phenomenon and can strike at random, regardless of human actions or beliefs.

Why do people continue to believe in these folk beliefs?

Folk beliefs about preventing lightning damage are deeply ingrained in cultural and personal beliefs. They can also provide a sense of control and comfort in the face of a potentially destructive force like lightning.

What are some modern methods for preventing lightning damage?

Modern methods for preventing lightning damage include installing lightning protection systems, using surge protectors, and following safety protocols such as staying indoors during a storm and avoiding open areas. These methods are based on scientific principles and have been proven effective in reducing the risk of lightning damage.