1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fooling around with Hamilton-Jacobi theory: can this be right?

1. Jan 28, 2009 #1
    A system with one particle in one dimension x, momentum p, and hamiltonin H(x,p). Hamilton's principal function S(x,t) is a function satisfying.

[tex]H(x,\frac{\partial S}{\partial x})+\frac{\partial S}{\partial t}=0[/tex]

Now when we say that

[tex]p=\frac{\partial S}{\partial x}[/tex]

this is somewhat nonsensical. The LHS, p, is a dynamical variable, independent of x, whereas the RHS is a function of x and t. It makes sense to refer to x(t) and p(t) separately, but not generally of p(x,t).

What [tex]p=\frac{\partial S}{\partial x}[/tex] must mean is that along any particular solution (x(t), p(t)) in the flow of solutions in phase space, it is the case that

[tex]p(t)=\frac{\partial S}{\partial x}|_{x=x(t)}[/tex]

That is, we can speak of a function [tex]\hat{p}(x,t)\equiv\frac{\partial S}{\partial x}[/tex] and then it is true that if x(t),p(t) are solutions to the equations of motions then for all t

[tex]p(t)=\hat{p}(x(t),t)[/tex].

Let me pause here before proceeding to the question proper. Is what I say so far correct?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2009 #2
    You are correct that partial derivative notation is ambiguous (cf. the additional notation which accompanies thermodynamic identities), although it should not normally cause confusion.

4. Jan 29, 2009 #3
    Thanks, confinement.

Actually, I don't need to post the actual question now. I figured out where I was going wrong. However, I would be interested in any comments about the OP.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?