1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

For what frequency does the intensity have a minimum?

1. Feb 11, 2012 #1
    Two speakers A and B are separated by 1 meter, the point P is 4 m away from speaker B. If P is a person for what frequency does he hear that the intensity have a minimum?. (The listener hear that the sound intensity reduces and increases).I don't know the distance from P to B. (They form a right-angled triangle)

B------A
    .-------P

(1.0 m)^2+(4.0 m)^2 = BP^2

BP = 4.123 m

The distance from Poit P to B is 4.123 m

how can I determine the wavelength ?

The answer should be: The minimum occurs for 1.3 kHz, 4.1 kHz, 6.9 kHz,.....

Should i use this formula ?

f(n) = n*v/d

The path difference is d=(4.123-4.00)= 0.123 m

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2012 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For destructive interference to happen, the path difference between the sound wave from A and the sound wave from B should be an odd multiple of half the wavelength. You know what this path difference is, so you can find the wavelengths that work.

4. Feb 12, 2012 #3
    Estimate the relationship between the maximum and minimum intensity. Assume that there is a spheric wavepropogation and the effect from the surrounding kan be neglected. The speed of sound can be set to 340 m/s. The intensity decreases with 1/r^2 ie the intensity on the wave r m from the source is I0/r^2 where I0(zero) are the intensity on 1m from the distance from the source.

How can i found the intensity and whats aboute the max and min intensity, what value should i use for that ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook