1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

For which values of x does this series converge?

1. Oct 30, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For what real values of x does this series converge?

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{∞}{\frac{1}{(\frac{1}{x})^n + x^n}}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I've rewritten the series as [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{∞}{\frac{x^n}{1 + x^{2n}}}[/tex] and I know that I can make each term larger, say
    [tex]{\frac{x^n}{1 + x^{2n}}} < {\frac{x^n}{x^{2n}}} = \left({\frac{x}{x^{2}}}\right)^n = \left(\frac{1}{x}\right)^n[/tex]

Then this will converge, by comparison to the geometric series, when |x| > 1. But surely this can't be a method for finding ALL values of x for which the original series converges, can it? Because I changed the series , so all I've found is the values of x for which [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{∞}{\frac{x^n}{x^{2n}}}[/tex] converges. How can I go about this in a different way?

Then there's the question of uniform convergence. Can I just use the M-test for both parts, and say that

[tex]\left|\frac{x^n}{1 + x^{2n}}\right| < \left|\frac{x^n}{x^{2n}}\right| = \left|\frac{1}{x}\right|^n = M_n[/tex]

so, [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{∞}{M_n} = \sum_{n=1}^{∞} \left|\frac{1}{x}\right|^n[/tex] converges uniformly when |x| > 1?

I just fear that I'm simplifying things too much and not getting ALL of the possible values of x such that the series converges. Any suggestions?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2011 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

this problem might be well suited to a comparison

say 0<x<1, then for all n
    [tex]
    \frac{1}{x^n} + x^n > \frac{1}{x^n}
    [/tex]

Hence
    [tex]
    \frac{1}{\frac{1}{x^n} + x^n}< \frac{1}{\frac{1}{x^n}}
    [/tex]

note you could do similar thing for x>1 and negative values

4. Oct 30, 2011 #3
    Okay, that makes sense. But since I'm only comparing to other series, can I be sure that I'm catching all of the values of x where the original series converges?

EDIT: Nevermind...since I'm comparing the original series based on specific intervals of x, I'll be fine.

So I'll get the same interval for convergence and uniform convergence by the M-test?

5. Oct 31, 2011 #4

lanedance

Homework Helper

not quite

consider x=1/2, using the fact below do you think the series will converge?
    [tex]
    \frac{1}{\frac{1}{(\frac{1}{2})^n} + (\frac{1}{2})^n}< \frac{1}{\frac{1}{(\frac{1}{2})^n}}= \frac{1}{2^n}
    [/tex]

now consider x=2, using the fact below do you think the series will converge?
    [tex]
    \frac{1}{\frac{1}{(2)^n} + (2)^n}< \frac{1}{2^n}
    [/tex]

note the symmetry in arguments, for any x>1, you can use the same argument above for y=1/x, with 0<y<1

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook