• Thread starter youmei0426
  • Start date

Homework Statement

upload_2018-12-27_18-52-13.png

Homework Equations

pV=nRT
upload_2018-12-27_18-53-2.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the volume of the cylinder, which is Al. So I plugged this into the ideal gas law formula, and got answer B. However, the correct answer should be D. I see the Boltzmann's constant there in the equation, and I do know an equation which contains the constant, but I'm not sure how to incorporate it into the ideal gas law.. Thanks for your help in advance!

Attachments

Answers and Replies

PKM
Can you somehow relate ##P## with the kinetic energy of the gas molecules per unit volume ##E_{\text{unit vol.}}##?

dRic2
Gold Member
First, you need a Force, not a pressure. What you did, I think, was $$p = nRT/V = \frac {nRT} {A l}$$ but this is a pressure. You have to multiply by the area, so $$F = \frac {nRT} {l}$$.

Second: in the perfect gas law you have ##n## which is the number of moles, but the exercise gives you ##N## which is number of molecules! And Remember that ##k_B = \frac R N_a## where ##N_a## is the Avogadro constant

First, you need a Force, not a pressure. What you did, I think, was $$p = nRT/V = \frac {nRT} {A l}$$ but this is a pressure. You have to multiply by the area, so $$F = \frac {nRT} {l}$$.

Second: in the perfect gas law you have ##n## which is the number of moles, but the exercise gives you ##N## which is number of molecules! And Remember that ##k_B = \frac R N_a## where ##N_a## is the Avogadro constant
Thank you so much! I figured it out :)