Force acting on the area of the cylinder due to gas

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
youmei0426
Messages
18
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


upload_2018-12-27_18-52-13.png


Homework Equations


pV=nRT
upload_2018-12-27_18-53-2.png


The Attempt at a Solution


I know the volume of the cylinder, which is Al. So I plugged this into the ideal gas law formula, and got answer B. However, the correct answer should be D. I see the Boltzmann's constant there in the equation, and I do know an equation which contains the constant, but I'm not sure how to incorporate it into the ideal gas law.. Thanks for your help in advance!
 
Attachments
  • upload_2018-12-27_18-52-13.png
    upload_2018-12-27_18-52-13.png
    10.7 KB · Views: 1,106
  • upload_2018-12-27_18-53-2.png
    upload_2018-12-27_18-53-2.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 843
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you somehow relate ##P## with the kinetic energy of the gas molecules per unit volume ##E_{\text{unit vol.}}##?
 
First, you need a Force, not a pressure. What you did, I think, was $$p = nRT/V = \frac {nRT} {A l}$$ but this is a pressure. You have to multiply by the area, so $$F = \frac {nRT} {l}$$.

Second: in the perfect gas law you have ##n## which is the number of moles, but the exercise gives you ##N## which is number of molecules! And Remember that ##k_B = \frac R N_a## where ##N_a## is the Avogadro constant
 
dRic2 said:
First, you need a Force, not a pressure. What you did, I think, was $$p = nRT/V = \frac {nRT} {A l}$$ but this is a pressure. You have to multiply by the area, so $$F = \frac {nRT} {l}$$.

Second: in the perfect gas law you have ##n## which is the number of moles, but the exercise gives you ##N## which is number of molecules! And Remember that ##k_B = \frac R N_a## where ##N_a## is the Avogadro constant
Thank you so much! I figured it out :)