Force between conducting spheres

In summary, two identical conducting spheres, X and Y, with charges of +6µC and -2µC respectively, are separated by a distance d and experience an attractive electric force of +F. When the spheres are touched together and then returned to their original separation, the new value of the force between them is -F/3 due to an equal and opposite charge of +2µC on both spheres resulting in a repulsive force.
dekonig
X and Y are two identical conducting spheres separated by a distance d. X has a charge of +6µC and Y has a charge of -2µC. The electric force between them is +F (i.e. attractive). The spheres are touched together and are then returned to their original separation d. What is the new value of the force between them?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I assumed that since the net charge should remain the same after, there would be no change in the value of the force, but the answer scheme gives the answer as -F/3.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What happens with the charge if the conducting spheres touch each other?

thanks for the reply man, i think i got it. The charges become +2µC on both sphere X and Y, at which point it's just subbing the before and after values for the charge into F=(kq1q2)/r2, and since, they're now like charged, the force becomes a repulsive one, hence -F/3

What is the force between two conducting spheres?

The force between two conducting spheres is dependent on the charge on each sphere, the distance between them, and the dielectric constant of the surrounding medium.

How do you calculate the force between two conducting spheres?

The force between two conducting spheres can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force is equal to the product of the charges on each sphere divided by the square of the distance between them.

What factors affect the force between two conducting spheres?

The force between two conducting spheres is affected by the charge on each sphere, the distance between them, and the dielectric constant of the surrounding medium.

Can the force between two conducting spheres be repulsive?

Yes, the force between two conducting spheres can be repulsive if both spheres have the same charge. This is due to the principle of like charges repelling each other.

How does the medium surrounding the conducting spheres affect the force between them?

The force between two conducting spheres is affected by the dielectric constant of the surrounding medium. A higher dielectric constant will result in a stronger force between the spheres.