Force between perpendicular wires in the same plane

In summary, the question is about the force on a wire segment that is perpendicular to an infinite length wire, both carrying current, in the same plane. Some have argued that the force is zero because the magnetic field is parallel to the wire segment, but others believe there is still a perpendicular force. The current and magnetic fields would indeed be perpendicular to each other, resulting in a force on the wire segment.
megaspazz

Homework Statement

I was just wondering, so let's say there are two current carrying wires in the same plane that are perpendicular. One of them is infinite length, the other is a wire segment some distance away from the first one and perpendicular to it. What's the force on the wire segment?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

People have been saying it's zero because the magnetic field is parallel to the wire segment, but I don't think that's true. I think that it's still perpendicular so there'll be a force on it. Am I right?

Physics news on Phys.org
How can a finite wire have a current inside?
The magnetic field would be perpendicular to the wire (and perpendicular to the whole plane of the setup).

I meant to say, wire segment part of a (probably) infinite wire. Sorry. In that case, would there be a force?

This might get interesting at the intersection.
Well, apart from that: Sure, current and field are perpendicular to each other.

Hmmm... I don't see how the current and magnetic fields would be perpendicular... sorry I'm so dumb T_T but in the [very crudely drawn] diagram, imagine the current in the vertical wire is going upward. So that means, the magnetic field would be going into the page to the right of the wire. The other wire, which is also in this plane, has current flowing either left or right, it doesn't matter, but isn't the magnetic field from the first wire (into the page) perpendicular to the current in the second wire (planar with page)?

Attachments

• wire figure.png
    wire figure.png
    204 bytes · Views: 381
So that means, the magnetic field would be going into the page to the right of the wire. The other wire, which is also in this plane, has current flowing either left or right, it doesn't matter, but isn't the magnetic field from the first wire (into the page) perpendicular to the current in the second wire (planar with page)?
Correct. Why don't you understand your own explanation?
I don't see how the current and magnetic fields would be perpendicular

OK, so there WOULD be a force on the horizontal wire, right?

OK, thanks for clearing things up :)

1. What is the force between two perpendicular wires in the same plane?

The force between two perpendicular wires in the same plane is due to the interaction of their magnetic fields. This force is known as the Lorentz force and is proportional to the current flowing through the wires and the distance between them.

2. How is the force between perpendicular wires affected by the direction of current flow?

The direction of current flow in the wires determines the direction of their magnetic fields, which in turn affects the direction of the force between them. If the current flows in the same direction, the wires will experience an attractive force, but if the current flows in opposite directions, they will experience a repulsive force.

3. Is the force between perpendicular wires in the same plane always attractive?

No, the force between perpendicular wires in the same plane can be either attractive or repulsive depending on the direction of the current flow. If the current flows in the same direction, the force will be attractive, but if the current flows in opposite directions, the force will be repulsive.

4. How does the distance between the wires affect the force between them?

The force between two perpendicular wires in the same plane is inversely proportional to the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the wires increases, the force decreases, and vice versa.

5. What is the relationship between the force between perpendicular wires and the magnitude of the current flowing through them?

The force between perpendicular wires in the same plane is directly proportional to the magnitude of the current flowing through them. This means that as the current increases, the force increases, and as the current decreases, the force decreases.