Force between two perpendicular wires

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the magnetic field and force in a wire, with a focus on identifying a potential mistake and correcting it. The discussion also touches on the direction of the force and the importance of properly plugging in numbers and using the correct formula.
Eitan Levy
Homework Statement
In a system as described in the picture, what would be the force that the infinite wire with a current of i exerts on the wire BC?
Relevant Equations
F=BILsinΘ
μThe magnetic field is supposed to be B=μ0i/(2πr). I think that the force would be aimed upwards.

Now I tried to divide the wire BC to infinite smaller wires where B is roughly constant in each one of them.

What I get is:
Capture.PNG

However this is not correct when I plug the relevant numbers in it.

Where is my mistake?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    15.5 KB · Views: 216
Physics news on Phys.org
Your work looks basically correct.

1576026551371.png

I think there's a sign error on the right-hand side. Is the force ##\vec{dF}## in the same direction as ##\vec B \times \vec{dl}##? I assume that you are using the usual convention that ##\vec{dl}## is in the same direcrion as the current in ##dl##.

1576026769378.png

The left side is a vector quantity while the right side is a scalar quantity. So, you should include a unit vector on the right side to indicate the direction of the quantity on the left side.

Your final result looks correct for the magnitude of the force on BC. Were you also expected to give the direction of the force?

How do you know that you plugged in the numbers correctly? Show us the numbers and exactly what you did. Also, the force is ##d\vec F=Id\vec l \times \vec B##. You show the negative of this.

I indeed plugged the numbers wrong. Thanks for the heads up about the wrong direction of dF, I will be more careful.

Likes TSny

1. What is the force between two perpendicular wires?

The force between two perpendicular wires is the attractive or repulsive force that occurs when electric currents flow through the wires in opposite directions.

2. How is the force between two perpendicular wires calculated?

The force between two perpendicular wires can be calculated using the formula F = (μ0 * I1 * I2 * L) / (2π * d), where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I1 and I2 are the currents flowing through the wires, L is the length of the wires, and d is the distance between the wires.

3. What factors affect the force between two perpendicular wires?

The force between two perpendicular wires is affected by the strengths of the electric currents flowing through the wires, the length of the wires, and the distance between the wires. It is also affected by the permeability of the medium between the wires.

4. How does the direction of the currents affect the force between two perpendicular wires?

The direction of the currents flowing through the wires determines whether the force between them is attractive or repulsive. If the currents flow in the same direction, the wires will experience an attractive force, while if the currents flow in opposite directions, the wires will experience a repulsive force.

5. What are some real-world applications of the force between two perpendicular wires?

The force between two perpendicular wires is used in a variety of applications, including electric motors, generators, and magnetic levitation systems. It is also used in particle accelerators and in the creation of magnetic fields for medical imaging.