1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force between the plates of a plane capacitor

1. Aug 8, 2011 #1
    I found this problem while self-studying Electricity and Magnetism, and I want to know if my solution is rigorous.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that the plates of a plane capacitor attract each other mutually with a force equal to
    [tex]F=\frac{q^2}{2\epsilon_0 A}[/tex]
    Obtain this result by calculating the work required to increase the separation between the plates from x to x + dx.

2. Relevant equations
    Energy stored in a capacitor with electric field E, plate area A and distance x between the plates:
    [tex]U=\frac{1}{2}\epsilon_0 E^2 Ax[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    The energy U stored in a capacitor can be viewed as the work that needs to be done by an external agent to separate its plates by a distance x:
    [tex]U=\frac{1}{2}\epsilon_0 E^2 Ax[/tex]
    The electric field E can be rewritten as [itex]q/(\epsilon_0 A)[/itex], where q is the magnitude of the charge on each plate. Thus, the work can be rewritten as:
    [tex]U=\frac{1}{2}\frac{q^2 x}{\epsilon_0 A}[/tex]
    The work dU done by the external agent to separate the plates from a separation x to a separation x + dx is:
    [tex]dU=\vec{F}\cdot d\vec{x}[/tex]
    where [itex]\vec{F}[/itex] is the force applied by the external agent.
    Because in this situation force and displacement are in the same direction, it may be rewritten as:
    [tex]dU=Fdx[/tex]
    Isolating the force:
    [tex]F=\frac{dU}{dx}[/tex]
    Thus:
    [tex]F=\frac{d}{dx}\frac{1}{2}\frac{q^2 x}{\epsilon_0 A}[/tex]
    [tex]F=\frac{1}{2}\frac{q^2}{\epsilon_0 A}[/tex]

Thank you in advance.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2011 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Looks like an error substituting in the q/(ϵ0A). Shouldn't you end up with an A on the bottom instead of on the top?

4. Aug 9, 2011 #3
    Yes, there was an error; I've just corrected it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook